Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-12-2004, 09:35 AM

Default OT - Linksys router problem.

I know this is way off topic, but is anyone else having or have had problems with a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router? Mine worked fine until about two weeks ago when it started dropping the signal a lot. I thought at first it was Comcast, so I really own them an apology for putting the through the wringer with this problem.
The darn thing is only about 18 months old - never been moved - plugged in once and has worked fine up until now.
Its sooooo aggravating. It will be fine, then jsut drop the signal for 3-5 minutes, then come back on. Its definatly not the service (for once), and definatly not the modem, nor the network cards on each pc. (I can buypass the router during one of my 'outages' and its fine.
Any ideas?

Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: OT - Linksys router problem.

Let me guess...Windows xp with the WPA hot patch running WPA encryption on your router???

If this is the case, i was having the same problems, and it appears to be a problem with how Windows xp handles WPA encryption. The best fix i have found is to uninstall the WPA hot patch (control panel->add remove programs, then find the correct hot patch), and then run WEP encryption. Even though WEP is not as secure...how many people do you know that will be snooping out your specific web connection. There are already too many unsecure wireless setups available for anybody to snoop you without specific reason.

Christian
Old 06-12-2004, 10:23 AM

Kev,
Besides Christian's suggestion, routers also just wear out, and sometimes they go in and out before they actually stop working. This was the case with my last (and first) one, a standard LinkSys. I posted about it, and Here is the thread.

Good luck, Roy

Old 06-12-2004, 10:31 AM

you know... i did my windows updates recently, and that might correspond with the new issue I am having... as well as some pretty powerful electrical storms a couple of weeks ago.
I dont recall applying the patch you are talking about, but I probably did in a security update. Its asking a lot, but could you elaborate as to how to find thus patch and remove or replace it?

I suppose otherwise I will just get another router. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-12-2004, 11:00 AM

i went through 3 linksys routers at work. the first one lasted about 18 months. the second and third lasted about 2 weeks each. finally went with a netgear and all is well. i have a linksys at home and every once in a blue moon it conks out for no apparent reason.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:31 AM

Hey, just caught your post. I used to actually work for Comcast before I started my studio and used to speak with people with router issues all the time. lol yeah, unfortunately Linksys has issues to start. We used to go round and round with their tech support caus we couldn't support the routers being they weren't "comcast property" or whatever excuse they gave even though some of us actually knew what we were doing with one.

A couple things you could try if you did recent windows updates is to do a System restore on your machine if you are running XP or ME which will go back before the update crippled your system, or you could also try a firmware upgrade from Linksys website for your router. Usually when Microsoft does your windows updates, Linksys is supposed to follow with any new updates in their firmware that will be re-configured with your windows settings. I used to tell everyone if it isn't broke, don't fix it. lol Basically I think Microsoft is evil with those updates which is why I purchased a Mac. But the system restore should definately help you if everything was cool before you did your windows update. You can get to it by going to Start, Run, type in msconfig, click on launch system restore and go through the prompts to restore to an earlier time. Also, Linksys has an 800 number for router issues on their site that might help you out, although I personally hate holding on their line forever to get someone to deal with.

If all else fails, it might be time for a different router manufacturer. Goodluck
Old 06-12-2004, 11:56 AM

I have a linksys router and from past experience I updated the firmware in the Router and no more problems
Old 06-12-2004, 12:51 PM

Try a different wall socket for the A/C adapter or better yet, use the power strip that your computer is plugged into, A friend (with same router) was having the same problem and I told him to try this and works fine now.

I've heard these linksys routers can break too(after all they not high end, well built cisco's), sometimes a good ol reset does the trick, poke a pen in that little hole up front for approx 4 secs and see if that helps.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:38 AM

The last time my Linksys dropped my connection I picked it up and dropped it too and said there, now you are going back to Best Buy so some other sucker can deal with you. Hope you didn't get that one.

I traded my Linksys in for an Airport Extreme and I'm glad I did. Much better coverage in this building and works flawlessly. I see Apple has a new wall plug in mount device that connects a boat load of stuff. Not sure it works with PCs though.
Allen
Old 06-13-2004, 05:15 PM

Thanks folks. I believe that the Router itself has just met the end of its useful life. If so, this is very poor quality.
I went by a few forums regarding routers and the complaints on this unit were unusually high. I tried the firmware update and that didnt help. I have tried all the suggestions here so it must be fubar.
Now I need to find the Comcast techsupport man and apologize. lol thats a switch!
Any suggestions of good routers, and why would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kev