Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Default Buffer settings for printing track

I understand is is good to record tracks at a lower buffer setting. if I have lots of plug ins on a session and then instead of bouncing print a track should I use the higher buffeer 1024 like when mixing?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Buffer settings for printing track

Re the buffer setting, its actually quite simple:
Small buffer= lower latency and tougher on the cpu(desirable for tracking).
Large buffer=higher latency and easier on the cpu. When mixing, you don't need to worry about monitoring latency, so you CAN change the buffer to a higher setting, IF(the big "IF") you NEED to. Why would you NEED to? if you load up on tons of plugins, raising the buffer eases the strain on the cpu by giving it more time(hence the latency) to process everything. Depending on which plugins and how many, you may find you can do most everything at a low buffer(the more power the computer has, the less likely it needs the extra processing time). Another aspect of latency is caused by some plugins. When tracking, I avoid any plugin with more than, say, 10 samples of latency so players don't complain about delay in the headphones(some plugins have hundreds or even several thousand samples of latency).

Now to printing a track, what exactly do you mean by "printing a track"? If you like to mix thru hardware(so you can't use Off-Line Commit or Bounce-To-Disk), just be aware that the new audio file might end up slightly early or late in relation to existing audio. Some of this is due to round-trip latency(audio goes out thru D>A conversion, goes thru some external hardware and comes back in thru A>D conversion). Sometimes, PT does not compensate exactly correct for this(and the offset might be different at different buffer settings, so be aware of it). The only reason to raise the buffer is, if the system chokes(Melodyne is a bit famous for this). With Off-Line Commit or BTD, the buffer may not matter(not sure why, but its been my experience)

If this doesn't really answer your question, try giving us more detail on exactly what you are doing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Let me clarify. Just say,, whatever 25 tracks of instruments vocals etc. No outboard gear, just busing everything to an AUX track then Aux to a stereo track to master later. That is my question as far as using what buffer rate for that application.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
Let me clarify. Just say,, whatever 25 tracks of instruments vocals etc. No outboard gear, just busing everything to an AUX track then Aux to a stereo track to master later. That is my question as far as using what buffer rate for that application.
Use any buffer setting. It won't make any difference.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave