Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Grounding? Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Or try the 11R without the computer hooked up and turned on even if it isn't hooked up. Most computers are not that well shielded.
This is a very good point also.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-03-2017, 06:13 PM

I'm super disappointed that my Eleven Rack puts out such hum. I have had varying degrees of hum from other external effects processors like the Boss GT100 if I recall (it was about $350 in 2015). I sent it back and ordered a Digitech product in the same price range and, ugh, hiss and hum. I sent that back. I contacted Focusrite who makes the Scarlett interface box and they recommended a "hum eliminator". I ordered a Pyle PHE400 from Amazon. That worked amazingly. I didn't go back to the external F/X processors though because I found that I had taken advantage of a half price coupon that came with a Peavey Vypyr II I used to have for Native Instruments "Guitar Rig 5".

I have been using that for two years and then saw Sweetwater advertising Eleven Rack for half price. So, I took advantage and P.U., this is the worst hum I've gotten yet. So I unhooked the Pyle from the Focusrite Scarlett and ran the Elevan Rack output to amp through the Pyle hum eliminator. Wow. Hum gone.
I just ordered a second Pyle PHE400 so that I don't have to keep switching cables. I got it for $40. But I sure would still like to find out wtf is up with all of these gizmos giving me the kind of hummer no one wants. The digital Peavey Amp never gave me any fits. I sold it and bought a new Bugera 55 Watt Infinium tube amp and that is what I have been trying to run these F/X boxes into. Thank goodness for the hum eliminators. Pyle seems like a good make. No complaints there. Solid boxes with accommodations for two XLRs and two 1/4" jacks. I found though that if you use them both they don't work as well. So that's why I went for the second box-to have a standalone for the Eleven Rack. No sense dragging these f/x processors around the house. I got hum when involving a lap top running on battery. So there is something in the air here. My guitars are all quiet. I have Fishman Fluence on all but one--a 2016 Guild BluesBird that has Seymour Duncan JB and it's Duncan match fo the neck. It makes noise, whereas the three guitars I have with Fluence pups--Greg Koch signature "Gristle Tone" single coil set which I put in a G&L ASAT, the Fluence "Modern" humbuckers which are in a Schecter A-6 and the Fluence "Classic" humbuckers which I put in an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro. I haaaaaaaaate noise.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 PM

it is likely not so much that your Eleven Rack puts out so much hum as you are dealing with likely usual expected ground loops from single sided connections. Stuff you have to deal with with transformer/baulin couplings and detective work. No different from many other issues you have to deal with with hum problems in audio.

(as you point out) Every guitarist really should have tools like JDI transformer coupled DI boxes, and (cough unsafe) power cables with ground wires cut, and similar things in their toolbox to be able to solve or at least hunt down these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-03-2017 at 08:56 PM.