Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Project Volare: Watch. Interact. Learn. Win

Hey guys... I'll keep it quick. My brother and I have wanted to make this happen for awhile now and finally made it happen. It's a six week short film series and filmmaking guide along with a combined $15k in prize giveaways from iZotope, Pro Sound Effects, Todd|AO, Groove3, and so many more.

https://www.projectvolare.com/

Since I'm an audio guy the prizes are skewed toward audio professionals. Currently we get probably a solid 10 new questions submitted each week so that's a one in three chance to win thousands worth of software and gear.

Submit a question here: https://www.projectvolare.com/ask-a-question

We're not making a dime from this, just have wanted to do something that blends entertainment, education, and audience interaction. Love to have some people from the DUC get involved :)

If you have any questions let me know. We're on Facebook too :)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Project Volare: Watch. Interact. Learn. Win

Hey Jonah! I came to spread the word of Project Volare and saw this post. Firstly, I want to thank you and your bro for putting this cool series together. Secondly, I'm the guy who got his question answered this last week, so THANK YOU and the sponsors for the prizes!!

I can't say enough cool things about what you're doing. Avid used to put out educational videos a while back, but it's hard to come by current tutorials that are interactive, show real-world obstacles and workflows, and that are also FUN!! The show itself looks and sounds like a million bucks and it's really cool to see the behind the scenes stuff from you guys.

Anyone else who might be interested, check it out! If not for anything else, there's free stuff to be won and I can tell you first hand how easy it was! But, I think there's something for everybody with this project.

Keep it up, Jonah! Tell your crew and your bro congrats and thank you. Looking forward to week 3!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 AM

Hey Ryan! Glad to see you've been enjoying what we're doing! And thanks for submitting your question. Definitely resonated as I've struggled with the field recorder workflow as well. Pushed me to dig a little deeper myself.

Stay tuned as we continue to roll out more content each week! Thanks again for participating!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:46 AM

I am not into film making at all but I did watch all of your videos this morning and found them to be well done and interesting. I particularly liked the long video you did on post sound. Now I can understand how people can run up the high track counts in ProTools. Must have been quite a challenge in the analog tape days.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I am not into film making at all but I did watch all of your videos this morning and found them to be well done and interesting. I particularly liked the long video you did on post sound. Now I can understand how people can run up the high track counts in ProTools. Must have been quite a challenge in the analog tape days.
Hey mjslakeridge, thanks a lot for checking the site out! Glad you got a positive impression of everything. It's obviously been a lot of work to try and present everything as polished and consistent as possible so always encouraging to hear that hopefully it's translating as such.

And to your point... Absolutely. 256 Voices for HD Native is far too small for post at this point. Looking forward to Avid increasing the voice count for 2018 or so is the projected plan with the results from that ACA vote campaign.

Please submit any question you might have about filmmaking or about Project Volare. Since I use the DUC alot myself, I'd really love to see some people from here submit questions, win some prizes and just have more engagement from the audio community with what we're trying to do. Spread the word if you can! It's a lot of work, but hoping we can justify doing more and more seasons of Volare :)

We're only getting less than 10 questions each week so you have more than a 1 in 3 chance of winning. Don't tell anyone else I told you that though :)

Submit questions here: https://www.projectvolare.com/ask-a-question
Old 11-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Yeah, with the power of our computers nowadays, track count limitations shouldn't really exist anymore. Just horsepower limitations. Wasn't this the entire purpose of track freeze, to free up the processing?

I feel the need to say it again, submit your question and maybe win some free stuff :)

Keep up the fun, thanks again!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 PM

I've been following and sharing this Project, all I can say I WISH THIS WOULD EXIST WHEN I STARTED back in 1998!!

I think the new generation are so lucky with this kind of information at disposal.

Understand the core of how it's done, how you decide new challenges because of the weather or the time we have to do a simple shoot, and see how all departments interact with each other.

Understand the main goal of a Director vision that needs each one to work for the same side and give the best we can to help him.

I just think this is the best project I've seen this year.

We could submit questions and win some prizes.

Thanks

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
I've been following and sharing this Project, all I can say I WISH THIS WOULD EXIST WHEN I STARTED back in 1998!!

I think the new generation are so lucky with this kind of information at disposal.

Understand the core of how it's done, how you decide new challenges because of the weather or the time we have to do a simple shoot, and see how all departments interact with each other.

Understand the main goal of a Director vision that needs each one to work for the same side and give the best we can to help him.

I just think this is the best project I've seen this year.

We could submit questions and win some prizes.

Thanks

I appreciate the kind words Marco!