Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-17-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Joemeek TwinQ...

Looking to possibly pick up one of the latest Joemeek TwinQ's in the near future... just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one... mainly with hooking it up to the 002R.

Sorry if this is a dopey question... I've never had any outboard gear to hook into the 002R, so lacking the experience in doing so. Sooooo... what would be the optimal way to go here for the cleanest signal path... optical out from the twinQ into the 002R optical in? Does that carry both channels?

Any insight would be appreciated... Thanks.
---
c
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Joemeek TwinQ...

the optical out does carry both signals. the first channel would show up as spdif left or digital left and the second right. however i would not recommend using the digital outs on the twinq, they are much noisier than the analog outs.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:19 PM

I dont recommend the TwinQ. I owned the Fletcher JoeMeek VCTwinQcs (the original one) and loved it. The compression was KILLER and though the mic pre was a boring, neutral type, it did the job and stayed out of the way....perhaps the best low budget mic pre I've ever used....but it's not tasty, colorful or high end. Then, channel 2 gave out, so I sold it on eBay and bought the new PMI JoeMeek TwinQ. It SUCKS. The new mic preamp is muddy, distorts the high end and is terrible with vocal sibilant sounds. The new compressor is NOT a JoeMeek, but rather an awful sounding turd. I dont know why PMI thought they needed to "improve" Ted Fletcher's compressor....all they did was ruin it. I tried it on a couple of projects and then sold the new TwinQ on eBay after deciding that it was a waste. If you want Meek compression, you'll have to buy a used Fletcher Meek or one of the early TFPro units and STAY AWAY from the new PMI models. If you want a nice mic preamp, forget about it altogether. Allen at PMI slams Ted's "current sensing" mic preamp (what the "cs" stands for in the old JoeMeek models), but Ted's CS preamp is far, far, far better than the PMI Meek pres by a long shot. Allen also told me that the Neve 1073 didn't have transformers....and everyone knows the 1073 uses Neve's 1290 class A mic amp with both INPUT and OUTPUT transformers, which is a HUGE part of their sound! Thus, I have concluded that PMI knows nothing about quality audio gear (though they do distribute Toft) and when left to their own devices, will ruin something good. It's too bad, because the Fletcher Meek boxes had the tastiest, most colorful sounding compression around short of $1500, and even then I'd use my Meek along side my Distressors and LA-2As. Now I dont know of any low end compressors that are tasty/colorful (though I've never used the ART Pro VLA....but a few people have said they're nice).

Of course, your milage may vary. By now, my ears are acustomed to quality gear like Great River, Neve, UA and such....and I have little tolerance for crap. Right now, with what is available on the market, the only 2 channel micpre/comp/AD that I could maybe recommend is a pair of Presonus Eurekas with the AD card. I've not used them but have been fairly happy with other Presonus stuff and they can be had for about the price of the TwinQ. I can say with almost total confidence that the compressors will be lame. Years ago, I bought an ART DPS for cheap access to a S/PDIF input I had unused. That thing could produce some interesting results, so maybe an ART DPS II or Digital MPA with a 2 channel compressor of your choice would work out ok? I've never used the original MPA, but I've heard pros say it is usable.

It really comes down to exactly what you want to do with your new device, what your budget is and where your ears are at this point in your recording career.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 AM

I own TwinQ. Although the reviews on the web are veryy good, I can't say that I'm 100% satisfied with it, and preaty much I agree that is noisy when used digital. I wpuld not be so harh with a 999$ preamp...and I personaly think that I don't have yet the experience to get the best out of it
Little experience in this field...may be a problem,or, if someone worked before with expensive preams...this is still a 999$ piece, so lot's try to be fair.
I use it digital, SPIDIF, but there is a noise there that I just can't get off;(, even though the wordclock is set (some people said that this can be the problem, but actually, if you don't set this right, 003&PT won't work at all).
I am thinking to use is analog (but there is another problem, how you use that avoiding the preams on the 003? I've read different opinions bun not a conclusion about how to do that).
I don't know how this helps...Overall I'm ok with it, I have some preatty good recordings using it, and if I could choose again, I would do the same, since the reviews are good and people in the bussines are gonna tell me again that the report qulity/price is ok. Are there other alternatives? Sure? How are the reviews for them? Worse.
Goog luck and I hope, if you get some other preamp, that you are gonna be satisfied. If you get the TwinQ, maybe we can keep in touch..
Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 AM

i think the meek is ok through its analog outs. i just use 2 of the 4 line ins on the back of the 003. the comp is ok and i like it on drums. but the digital outs are terrible and worthless.