Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Quick way to delete Marker properties (when dealing with many Markers)

i have a few sessions where there are hundreds of markers.

they all have "zoom settings", "track show/hide", and "track heights" in the General Properties selected.

is there a quick way to get rid of one or all of the properties, that will apply to all the markers? or do i need to deselect the property one marker at a time??

for example, if i don't want the zoom settings for all markers, how do i deselect them?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Quick way to delete Marker properties (when dealing with many Markers)

Is it too obvious to drive to the marker location, create another marker and delete the problem marker...?

That doesn't seem like it would take too long.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Quick way to delete Marker properties (when dealing with many Markers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
Is it too obvious to drive to the marker location, create another marker and delete the problem marker...?

That doesn't seem like it would take too long.

That's fine if you are only dealing with a small number of markers, but when you have dozens & dozens of the things it becomes a major chore, especially if as you say, you create a new marker rather than editing an existing one, as you have now lost all your short cuts.

I still think the markers feature needs a lot of improvement (I'm still using PT7.3.1 but I don't think things have radically improved in PT8).

For example, I think there should be a marker editing column added in the far left of the markers browser which (like the track icons column in the track show/hide pane of the edit/mix windows) allows you to select multiple contiguous or non contiguous markers to be deleted, or have properties bypassed from the view columns on the right of the marker browser - such a track show/hide etc.

It would also allow you do drag and drop the markers into different numbered slots, reordering them (i.e. their marker # for short cut invocation) in a way that suits you, rather than being stuck having to remember/deal with their number based on the order they were created, or the order they appear on the timeline - this would allow you to lay out your markers on a track by track basis if you so desired.

It should also give you the option of displaying the marker number as part of its icon e.g.

on the timeline marker 15 would appear as:

15<> start filter sweep here

where as currently, if you want that info, you have to type it as part of the name (I put it in [ brackets ] so that it clearly stands out from any other numbers that may be part of the markers name), and it appears on the timeline like this:

<> [ 15 ] start filter sweep here

and of course if you end up having to copy the properties to a new marker, it's easy to accidentally forget to change the marker number in the name - thus screwing up your short cuts (dumb, but can happen).

Digi, this still needs an overhaul.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Something like the group editor, select all or multiples and edit properties.
This would be useful for markers.
A second marker lane for alt cues as well.

+1
Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
That's fine if you are only dealing with a small number of markers, but when you have dozens & dozens of the things it becomes a major chore, especially if as you say, you create a new marker rather than editing an existing one, as you have now lost all your short cuts.

I still think the markers feature needs a lot of improvement (I'm still using PT7.3.1 but I don't think things have radically improved in PT8).

For example, I think there should be a marker editing column added in the far left of the markers browser which (like the track icons column in the track show/hide pane of the edit/mix windows) allows you to select multiple contiguous or non contiguous markers to be deleted, or have properties bypassed from the view columns on the right of the marker browser - such a track show/hide etc.

It would also allow you do drag and drop the markers into different numbered slots, reordering them (i.e. their marker # for short cut invocation) in a way that suits you, rather than being stuck having to remember/deal with their number based on the order they were created, or the order they appear on the timeline - this would allow you to lay out your markers on a track by track basis if you so desired.

It should also give you the option of displaying the marker number as part of its icon e.g.

on the timeline marker 15 would appear as:

15<> start filter sweep here

where as currently, if you want that info, you have to type it as part of the name (I put it in [ brackets ] so that it clearly stands out from any other numbers that may be part of the markers name), and it appears on the timeline like this:

<> [ 15 ] start filter sweep here

and of course if you end up having to copy the properties to a new marker, it's easy to accidentally forget to change the marker number in the name - thus screwing up your short cuts (dumb, but can happen).

Digi, this still needs an overhaul.
maybe it´s already there, but searching for specific markers/marker-titles would be superbe.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:58 PM

so i take it the answer is no...?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 PM

I would say the answer is 'no'. As much time as I spend adjusting markers (and re-numbering them as well) I, too, also wish for better marker management. The thing where the next marker remembers the properties can drive you crazy!!!

Some way to edit multiple 'Locations' would be helpful.