Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-14-2018, 01:43 PM

Default Advice on reinstalling all programs

This is the follow up on this thread where I recounted the saga of the corrupted update from Win-10. My PC repair guy just called and said that he's tried everything and nothing will fix whatever the issue is. So, we need to do a clean re-install of Win-10. Now, everything currently on my OS drive is backed up, so nothing will be lost. And none of my other internal HD's are affected in any way. (and, yes, they are all backed up as well). I guess the good news is, this wasn't a virus nor does there appear to be any physical damage to the HD or anything else. Whatever caused the Win-10 files to be corrupted happened after the last install. None of my personal files, or my PT sessions, or anything else has been corrupted of affected.

My question is this: once Win-10 is cleanly re-installed, what is the best way to go about reinstalling everything else...PT, Reason, all my VI"s and plugins and the rest. I do have all the original installation files (or updates) and all that. I also see this as an opportunity to just dump a lot of redundant and unnecessary crap that's gathered over time.

What's the best way to go about all this? I suspect I'm in for about 10-15 hours of time to get all done and done correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Advice on reinstalling all programs

Before you dive in, what exactly is backed up from your OS drive? If you have a drive image from when things worked fine, I would start by recovering that and see what happens(that's the beauty of drive imaging). If it really comes down to starting over, here's my method:
1-Install and tweak OS
2-Install iLok and Pro Tools and AVID plugins(always using the right-click>Run as Admin option for Windows) and test a few sessions(3rd party plugins will be inactive and that's okay for now).
3-If tests go smooth, save a drive image(name it System Basic Load)
4-install plugins(but not VI stuff yet)
5-test for solid function. If all is good(run some recent sessions), save a 2nd drive image(name it System with Plugins)
6-install VI plugins and sample libraries(or re-link to existing libraries)
7-test with VI's(you will likely have gone thru some fun re-authorizing anything that doesn't use iLok). Assuming things are working well, save a 3rd drive image(named System Complete)

Now, if some future catastrophe hits, you have 3 images to recover from(feel free to name images in a way that makes sense to you). I would also save an image every few months(assuming the system is running well) and image BEFORE adding any new software or update. I rotate a pair of matching system drives so whenever I do an update or addition of new software, I clone the C: drive>swap the fresh clone into the machine and update that. If things go sour, swap the original drive back in so I can work(and solve the problem when convenient). If things work dandy, the old drive sits in the drawer, ready for the next repeat

BTW, since you are recovering, you might as well change the CR2032 battery and re-check/update BIOS/UFEI

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Before you dive in, what exactly is backed up from your OS drive? If you have a drive image from when things worked fine, I would start by recovering that and see what happens(that's the beauty of drive imaging). If it really comes down to starting over, here's my method:
1-Install and tweak OS
2-Install iLok and Pro Tools and AVID plugins(always using the right-click>Run as Admin option for Windows) and test a few sessions(3rd party plugins will be inactive and that's okay for now).
3-If tests go smooth, save a drive image(name it System Basic Load)
4-install plugins(but not VI stuff yet)
5-test for solid function. If all is good(run some recent sessions), save a 2nd drive image(name it System with Plugins)
6-install VI plugins and sample libraries(or re-link to existing libraries)
7-test with VI's(you will likely have gone thru some fun re-authorizing anything that doesn't use iLok). Assuming things are working well, save a 3rd drive image(named System Complete)

Now, if some future catastrophe hits, you have 3 images to recover from(feel free to name images in a way that makes sense to you). I would also save an image every few months(assuming the system is running well) and image BEFORE adding any new software or update. I rotate a pair of matching system drives so whenever I do an update or addition of new software, I clone the C: drive>swap the fresh clone into the machine and update that. If things go sour, swap the original drive back in so I can work(and solve the problem when convenient). If things work dandy, the old drive sits in the drawer, ready for the next repeat

BTW, since you are recovering, you might as well change the CR2032 battery and re-check/update BIOS/UFEI

Thanks, Dave! That all makes good sense. I HAD an image..but for some reason the system would not recognize it at all! I used Acronis True Image to make it, too. It was only about 3 weeks old at the time of the issue.

In any event, I like your idea of 3 images.

I'm pretty okay with everything...but I know that 6 and 7 on your list will be a nightmare...especially the non-iLok stuff. Yuk!!!

Its just the TIME its all going to take to do...geesh!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:41 PM

I should make clear that I really don't use this PC for anything other than my studio applications. I only go online with it when I'm doing an update and have to download it. Otherwise its offline virtually all the time. So, there's other than OS related stuff, everything on here is virtually all studio related...mainly PT and all my plugins and VI's and their associated files ( the ones required to be on the OS drive). No games, no M-Soft office stuff or any of that.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
.... I HAD an image..but for some reason the system would not recognize it at all! I used Acronis True Image to make it, too....
Good luck, Donald – great to read that you’re getting it all fixed!
As you had a drive image, but your system would not recognize it – and, if Dave/albee1952 agrees with this extra step (#3a):
Once you have your 1st drive image (named System Basic Load), test it with a re-format, before proceeding.
(Perhaps also test the next 2 drive images, once they’re done)

BTW, if you registered your lost eLicenser with Steinberg, you may be able to get your product/s back:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-what-do-i-do/

Last edited by unkJE; 06-14-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Don't forget to turn Windows 10 Automatic updates OFF!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 PM

Hmmm, Acronis has kicked my tail a few times. Sometimes I can trick into working by reformatting the destination drive(and sometimes that doesn't work) Verifying an image is good is not a bad idea at all, but given what a PITA it all is, I would probably just run the verify image process.

Given this a little more thought and have a variation to consider; After loading Windows, load in Acronis and run it and see if that might load the image you have. Keep in mind that if Windows gives your drive(the drive with the image on it) a different drive letter from when the image was saved, changing the drive letter back to original might allow it to work

And yes....@6&7 will be tedious as )(^&^%

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Well, as it turns out, the reason I couldn't access the image file is because, well, I...um....I...er....didn't create it with Acronis True Image like I thought. I actually used Paragon...which I, um, completely forgot that I had done. So, once my tech guru realized that, he was able to restore everything from the image. Not that I'm embarrassed or anything....

It was a bit further back than I would have liked, but its just a matter of re-updating a few things. Any new programs or apps I downloaded were preserved separately anyways, so I have all those to reinstall if I need to.

Much better than reinstalling absolutely everything! That would have been a nightmare!

Anyways, thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys. I'll get everything up and running again today, and reimage everything. Right after I make sure auto updates are OFF on Win 10.

And the kicker to all this was when my tech guy told me they have been seeing a lot of these sorts of issues as a direct result of Win-10 updates. Darrel Ramm was right: Windows ID the virus!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
... It was a bit further back than I would have liked ...
Try to be meticulous about boot drive images. I take a new full image whenever something gets changed. I also keep written notes of exactly what hardware/software got changed.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Try to be meticulous about boot drive images. I take a new full image whenever something gets changed. I also keep written notes of exactly what hardware/software got changed.

Yup. That's what I'm going to do from now on. Fortunately, I haven't really added that much since the last image, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble taking care of things. Most were either Waves, Pro Tools or Reason, so easily re-updated/downloaded.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM

I'm really grateful that I listened to all you pros here about creating an image file in the first place! You guys are super! Yes, I got a little lax about how often, but in my case, no real harm done as I've not been as active with my studio over the past 6 months due to life!