Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Default PT 9 slow startup!!

-I'm sorry this is a copy of my post in pt LE Win forum, but it fits better here.

Ok guys! I love that there is always something bugging me about this DAW Protools. :) Now that I have updated to v9 I was wishing that the load time would be significantly reduced. And it has not been. For me this is one of the reasons why I fire up Ableton instead of Protools everytime I need to get something done quick. But then there are scenarios where I need to use it and also sometimes it just makes more sense in pure recording sessions and such. But for me this IS one of the MOST IMPORTANT ISSUES. I need it to start quickly when a client is waiting for a "quick" fix.

I am seeing the same things as alot of you guys. On first boot(of PT9), It is sloooooooooooooooooooooooow, I mean like 4-5min. If I then close and reopen PT, it opens in 30 sec-1min. I do have a lot of plugins, and wrapped vst's. But don't come here blaming that, because it's just got to work, that is avids job, make it work. I have virtually the same plugins in Ableton live except the obvious, digi "AIR" plugins, and guess what the load time is there? IT's 8-10 sec. So I'm thinking is it the Air plugs? OR is there something realy bad about how PT finds its plugins.

So...

Avid, please look at this!

my specs:
ADK 1QAR - i7 620
4Gb ram
Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Default Re: PT 9 slow startup!!

This is just a thought, but it's probably because PT is loading the DAE engine and registering the disks. Do you have a few hard drives hooked up while launching PT? My system usually pauses for 5 to 10 sec on the DAE load and MIDI, not the plugins.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Creating a new user account (non-admin, regular user) and using pro tools from there solved the problem for me.

edit: no it didn't, after second shutdown it was slow again
bummer...
Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 AM

This probably doesn't help but just for reference, Pro Tools starts up in 30 sec to a little over 1 min for me on first start. I'd try Slemmu's suggestion, because that can't be right.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 AM

Yeah the "slow" start up for me is less than 1 minute. Why do you quit if you are in such a hurry?
1-603-867-6843
Old 11-26-2010, 04:27 AM

I agree, PT9 is slow to startup. Removing all the third party plugins from the plugins folder makes it faster, but still it takes about 1 minute. And I'm loading it of a SSD disk.

I'm going to creating a new profile and se if that helps when I come home.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Just minutes ago, I resolved this slow startup issue on my machine.....

Take a look at this thread.

Excluding my Digi folders from Real Time Virus Protection took my startup time from 4-5 minutes (the first time) to less than 30 seconds!

Hope this helps.

GregJ