Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2000, 05:38 PM

Default PC amatuer needs set-up advice, please help

I've been looking into buying the 001 package but I'm not sure if my PC will be able to run it. If anyone has any experience or info on my set-up in relation to running Pro Tools please help me out. Here's what I have:

AMD Thunderbird 1000MHz socket A CPU
ABIT KT7 motherboard
256MB RAM
45GB IBM Deskstar 7200 RPM hard drive
Plextor 12/10/32 CD writer
Windows 98 SE

I think that's all the relevant info. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2000, 10:48 PM

Default Re: PC amatuer needs set-up advice, please help

Soundwave,

Don't even try the AMD with PT and digi001. I have an Athlon 550 and couldn't get it to run and I've read LOTS of messages stating the same. I bought a Gigabyte 440bx based board with a PIII 800 and it runs great now. I am VERY frustrated with Digidesign however because their compatibility documents state NOTHING about the Athlon processor nor will they comment on its future support. I think this is a TERRIBLE business practice! They have to know full well at this point that PTLE will not run on the Athlon processor but have refused to add it to their list of unsupported hardware. I also scoured the DUC hoping to find some comment from Digidesign regarding this issue and it is obvious they have gone out of their way to avoid the Athlon issue. I had already checked the compatibility document before making my PTLE/digi001 purchase and assumed (as I'm certain many others did) since they didn't specifically mention the Athlon and did ONLY mention the K6 family that it (the Athlon) must be supported.

I think Digidesign has gotten the idea that there are a LOT of Athlon users out there who would gladly fork over the $$$ for their product but simply aren't in a position to go out and buy another PC.

Hope this helps you avoid a big problem!

[This message has been edited by Locke (edited December 14, 2000).]
Old 12-14-2000, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I've read similar complaints. But what if I run Logic Platinum 4.5 with the 001 hardware? Is is just the PT software that isn't compatible or is it the interface too?
Old 12-14-2000, 11:55 PM

Actually i have read posts of people where their athlon would not work, and i have read posts where it has worked nearly flawlessly. I would not recommend getting the 001 for an amd rig unless you are pretty handy with computers and its hardware.

As far as digi mentioning support for athlon, i am pretty sure i read a post the other day from one of the techs stating that most of the bugs with the athlon(read motherboads too), have been worked out in PT le 5.1. I could be mistaken but i am pretty sure i read it only last week.

Christian