Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Connecting C24, Digi 192 with outboard?

Any recommendations for a decent quality patchbay w/out going overboard with the $$$??
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draulym View Post
Any recommendations for a decent quality patchbay w/out going overboard with the $$$??
I've been using a Behringer patchbay and contuinually regret it.
I am regularly having to take the patchbay out to re-seat jacks giving intermittent connections on various circuits (And always at a real inconvenient time)

The problem is that to go to a real quality unit where everything is either soldered or on D type connectors would involve a complete studio recable costing $$ and extended down time.

All quarter inch jack patchbays with sockets front and rear seem to use the same moulded black jack sockets.

If anyone does know of an highquality patchbay that isn't D type or soldered then I'd be interested too

Lizardpoint
Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 AM

I have two of the Neutrik patchbays and they function nicely.

http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/2...L1_detail.aspx

PT10 HD Native (10.2.0), 96 I/Os, C24, Mac Pro (10.6.8 / 16GB)
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM

I have a C24 and 192 and have outboard effects processors i want to use, but i have no idea how to get the signal from the C24 to my outboard gear. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Lizardpoint,
I have the same question only I use 16 outboard pres rather than my c/24; I use the c/24 for monitoring and control for PT. Also my 192i/o has 16 analog in and out.
my outboard gear includes:
Avalon 737 Channel Strip
UA 8110 8 pre
Focusrite 828 8 pre
UA 1176
Dangerous Audio 2bus summing mixer
24 channel patchbay as you described.
I would like to have my 8110 and 828 normaled as 1-16, rather than the c/24.
Any help would be Appreciated!
Brendan
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Hey LeafOner,

I'd come out of your two 8 channel pre's into your patchbay then into your 192 analog inputs. These first 16 channels on your patchbay can be fully normaslised so with nothing plugged in, all your pre's are connected to all your 192 analog ins.

If you want to use another Pre plug a line level input into your 192, then you can insert a jack on the bottom row of the patchbay which will disconnecte the associated mic pre for that channel and the line input will go the the 192 input.

for outputs you can take all 16 of your analog outs on your 192 and connect to the Dangerous Audio 2bus summing mixer, then take the main output to your mastering device or patch it back into a pair of 192 inputs to record your 2 track master as a stereo track in PT. The monitor output pair of the Dangerous Audio 2bus summing mixer should go to the C24 main l/r inouts. This will allow you to control your monitor speaker switching.

For patching in your compressor you can patch across the mic pre out-192 input points on the patchbay. If you want to patch your hardware compressor to an insert point within PT it gets a bit more complex as you need to reconfigure your I/O from within PT and remove the associated 192 output from your summing mixer.

Do you use all 16 stems into the summing mixer?
If you used 8 then that would leave you some spare outs for insert points.
I need to understand how you normally work but hopefull this will give you a starting point.

Feel free to get back to me and I'll try to help further...

Cheers

Lizardpoint
Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Hello

I have been reading these forums for a while but never signed up till now because i am in dire need of help with my system, i usually can find my answer but im stumped.
I Read your postings helping people with similar setups but mine is a little different. I only have One 192 with only 8 analog outputs. i do not have the extra da expansion and cannot afford it right now. i do have an addition Digital I/O card i do not have installed( dont know if this will help)

So i was wondering how i might be able to wire this up so i can have a protools output path to send Audio to outboard and record back into PTHD.
Currently its hooked up now as Follows.

192 analog out (Via Dsub to Dsub) into C24 Pro tools i/o input

One dsub to XLR out of C24 control room to speakers (Main speakers JBL 6 series active monitors( 1and3 to JBLsubwoofer, subwoofer to JBL actives)
(Then out of 7 and 8 im using my "Alt mon" which are Adam A7)

I have a dsub Snake In Analog 192 and i use 1 and 2 as inputs (1 usually mic, 2 usually if stereo mix in.

My problem is since i have no outputs left on the 192 as it stands, i was wondering if there would be a better way to wire this seing as how i cant output with the addition digital card to stereo compressors and EQs. (i.e Neve , Avalon 737, La2a etc.

i thought maybe Dsub analog out from 192 and use 1 and 2 direct out to speakers and just control volume in PT or digicore (wasnt sure how c24 will act if just linked through the ethenet,. if main output nob would still regulate outputs chosen.
Then use output 3/4 or 5/6 as sends to outboard. As i have it now when i use output out of monitor section of c24 the main vol controls the output to the gear.. which i know is totally incorrect. i did not originally wire this so i thought the out sends 5/6 from PT were actually from out of 192 but later found it was the monitor section output of c24...

I know this is a mess. i was hoping you could shed some light on this for me as i have mix sessions to do and need to use external outboard gear pre and post.

Thank you so much for any time you may have to help.

Happy New Year!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Hey, Lizardpoint

I'm actually in this same situation. I have the basics on how to use a patchbay with my C24 and 192 i/o. My c24 and my 192 i/o should arrive in the next couple of days. I don't have much outboard gear, but I plan to get more as I go and I would like to have my patchbay as it gives you so much flexibility.

I was wondering if you can help me out as well?... If I give you my outboard gear, can show me the way you would use it in the patchbay? I haven't bought my patchbay yet but i don't want one that needs to be soldered, i've burned myself enough in audio school lol.

I also would like suggestions on getting the digisnakes from the C24 to the 192?... Oh and another thing!...

I have a mic panel with 24 slots for XLR in my live room... I need to connect all of these to my patchbay right?... then patch them in on the corresponding patch points to my c24 on the patchbay right?, idk if that made sense =X...Basically would that be the smart thing to do?... Putting the question in a simpler form, Where do the connections of my mic panel go?...

thanks, I really hope you can help me out!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WritesRecording View Post
Hey, Lizardpoint

I have a mic panel with 24 slots for XLR in my live room... I need to connect all of these to my patchbay right?... then patch them in on the corresponding patch points to my c24 on the patchbay right?, idk if that made sense =X...Basically would that be the smart thing to do?... Putting the question in a simpler form, Where do the connections of my mic panel go?...

thanks, I really hope you can help me out!
I'm very happy to try and help you out with your patching questions:

Firstly I would not recommend you wire your mic panels via a patch panel for the following reasons:
You risk shorting out your phantom power supply as you in sert and remove patchcords. (Assuming your are using a jack type patch panel)
The signal levels at mic level are very low that any noise introduced by patchbay contacts will not be acceptable.
Any poor contacts in the patch panel will result in a significant signal level drop at mic level.

I recommend you run 1-16 of your mic panel straight to your C24 mic pre inputs. Then you can connect 17-32 to any other mic pre's you may have or will buy in the future as and when.

If you PM me with a list of your gear, I'll do a design for you and you can see if it will work for you. If you can hold off buying and snakes for the time being as you will need different snakes depending on the patchbay configuration you end up using.

You say you don't want to do any soldering there are options which have the ability to connect either DSub connectors or TRS jacks to the rear of the patchbays. DSub is easier, although more expensive and depending on how your gear expands in the future, can be less flexible.

Hope this helps

Lizardpoint
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM

HEY!...

sorry for taking long to reply =X...

Okay very true about the patchbay... I was at an older studio and they had it done that way! lol

Anyway, I'm in the process of buying all of my gear. I haven't even actually bought my mic panels for my live room yet. I would like just one big panel to go in the live room... so if you could advise me on which panel to get?... I would have to solder all those points right?... It would have to be a snake that goes into my C24 i assume

Anyways... Is there an email I can contact you at?... or just communicate through here, whatever is better for you. But I would LOVE your help on designing my control room connections!

So for sure Im getting the C24 with a 192 I/O (or if there is another option for an interface I would love to know or some kind of bundle)

So i'll just give you a simple run down on the gear I plan on getting or have already ordered... Il just write "pre amp 1,2,3..." for my pre amps...

-C24
-192 I/O
-Imac computer
-Pre amp 1
-Pre amp 2
-Pre amp 3
-Compressor 1
-Compressor 2
-EQ 1
-EQ 2
- MIDI keyboard
- Reverb unit

Along with my patchbay of course... Also the mic panel connections for my live room. So the snake of the mic panel should be a dsub connection at the end?... I haven't seen these... or do i have to solder dsub myself???

Anyway, please email me whenever you can in response to this...

[email protected]