Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM

Default Updating Windows 7 OS?

Hey All,

Currently updating from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9. I'm running on Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, I have all the specs listed in my about me section.

Anyways, I'm wondering. I built this PC maybe 4 years ago, started with Windows XP with Cakewalk Sonar, and have been running Windows 7 64 bit for over 2 years now and Pro Tools for about a year this coming August.

I have never updated Windows 7. Is that something I should be doing?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Updating Windows 7 OS?

If everything is working, then why update? My own main workstation doesn't go online and the OS doesn't get updated, unless it's essential to the operation of Pro Tools as documented by Avid.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-21-2014, 04:49 AM

To each his own, but...

I always keep Windows updated, primarily because I sometimes use the Internet from my music computer, and often the Windows Update has various security updates. And, of course, there's also various "bug fixes" in the updates.

I've only been burned once, maybe 12 years ago, when Microsoft put out an update that had a bad "component" in it...MS had a fix out in two days, and I haven't had any problems with their updates since.

Keep in mind that I'm a hobbyist, so a couple of days of downtime didn't hurt anything, and that I always update one of my non-music computers and test it for a couple of days before updating my music computer.

And as in all things, YMMV...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM

I would update, but FIRST, I would back up. And by that, I mean use a drive imaging/cloning program, and NOT Windows restore(which bit me in the butt this very week with my home PC). Acronis True Image(and similar programs) allow you to take a "snapshot" of a hard drive. By doing that BEFORE running updates, you can recover if the update goes sour. On my Pro Tools machine, I never install anything(and I mean anything) without first saving a drive image, or doing a straight clone to another drive(and then I install the new clone in place of the original drive). Its amazing how often I need to roll back

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave