Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-08-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Impressed with PT 12

I took the plunge, and went all-in with PT 12. Installed it on my studio Westmere, and on my iMac.
Mixed 5 songs for a band in the studio with no hassle. Tuning, elastic audio, automation, beat detective, etc worked nicely.

Now, I've just finished a recording with PT 12 and RME hardware over 6 days in a cinema theater. It all went smooth, so I'm happy.

This must be the best first release of PT I've ever worked with.

Well done, Avid.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Impressed with PT 12

What were you able to accomplish in PT 12 that you couldn't have accomplished in PT 11? I'm still trying to understand the value of PT 12 other than collaboration.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
I took the plunge, and went all-in with PT 12. Installed it on my studio Westmere, and on my iMac.
Mixed 5 songs for a band in the studio with no hassle. Tuning, elastic audio, automation, beat detective, etc worked nicely.

Now, I've just finished a recording with PT 12 and RME hardware over 6 days in a cinema theater. It all went smooth, so I'm happy.

Well done, Avid.
Did you import any video into your session?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 PM

RME hardware and PT12HD, you're speaking my language.

I'm interested in Mark's question. Other than working properly, what was it about 12 that impressed you? Aside from WASAPI support, I've not found any significant difference in my day-to-day.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:19 AM

The value for me is that PT 12 was rock solid and dependable, and it felt more fluid to me than 11. With 30 musicians and a conductor in front of me, a reliable system is money in the bank. I honestly don't care about new features at this time, but they are of course welcome. Another point is that I'm ready for upcoming 12.x.x releases. It takes a while for me to clone the system drive and install everything I need, and it is now done.

Quote:
What were you able to accomplish in PT 12 that you couldn't have accomplished in PT 11? I'm still trying to understand the value of PT 12 other than collaboration.
I could easily have done the projects in 11.3.1. That is a very stable release too. I just decided to move on, that's all.

Quote:
Did you import any video into your session?
No. I hardly ever import video, so I have no real experience in that department.

Quote:

I'm interested in Mark's question. Other than working properly, what was it about 12 that impressed you? Aside from WASAPI support, I've not found any significant difference in my day-to-day.
I didn't get a chance to try RME with 11, but I suspect it would've worked just fine too. I had mixes to do at day time, and location recording in the evenings, so I borrowed the Fireface UFX from a friend to reduce the amount of gear I'd have to bring back and forth every day.

So, in summary - a very smooth experience so far with PT 12, and that is the single most important feature to me.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post

Well done, Avid.
I'm glad its going well for you, and if the anecdotal evidence of various posters is true, then it's much needed good news.

It remains strange that if there are under the hood changes that are actually improving 'fluidity', stability etc, Avid has chosen not to announce it, or confirm the rumours. There are also other posters reporting that it feels no different, and some reporting the same bugs and errors that we've been dealing with in PT11. The jury's out, I suppose.

However, let's be honest, it's not really a 'first release' in the way that previous releases have been. The new stuff is not there yet, there's just some minor tweaks e.g. the i/changes.

So it's really 11.4 to be fair, it just fits their marketing/branded etc to call it 12.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 05-09-2015, 06:21 AM

It kinda sucks that the clock is now wastefully ticking for all the folks who paid for the value of having a year and a half to get updates. We start with nothing, as opposed to starting with 'something'. I won't be surprised if the good stuff comes out after a year and 5 months.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 AM

And this is just me, but when people say, "it just FEELS good", I imagine that's probably just the investment talking. Understandable, but not very marketable. I'd love to see Avid use it as a selling point. "All new in version 12, it just feels good."
Old 05-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post

I think Pro Tools 12 essentially is a new relationship between Avid and PT customers. Avid could not get the 12 like that, because it is too close to PT 11. It might have been a version 11.5. But really, Avid gives 1 year, the year of the update, develop 12. We can try this version and the new strategy Avid after one year. I'm not saying it's going to be positive. We'll see.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
And this is just me, but when people say, "it just FEELS good", I imagine that's probably just the investment talking. Understandable, but not very marketable. I'd love to see Avid use it as a selling point. "All new in version 12, it just feels good."
Give it time ;-)

Expect it to be used in about 12 months, shortly after someone from Avid Marketing actually pays a visit to the DUC looking for something positive to pick up on.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)