Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 AM

Default Minor Bug/Gripe - "Bounce to" location

This bug has been around since PT12, possibly even PT11, (can't remember exactly when this started) on Mac. If I bounce to a folder once, then change the name of the folder in the finder (which I often do to refine naming structure for client delivery), Pro Tools throws up an assertion error when trying to bounce again. In past versions, the only way to do another bounce was to quit and relaunch Pro Tools, but after testing today on 2018.4 Ultimate, closing and reopening the session reset the bounce location to Bounced Files. This has been fully repeatable on multiple systems (different macs, hardware and no hardware, different OS's, etc.) and multiple versions of Pro Tools throughout at least PT12 & 2018, and possibly going back to PT11, on Mac. I haven't ever reported it, since there is an easy workaround, but it's been annoying me more and more lately. I will start a support case, as well as an Ideascale topic, but I wanted to see if this was bugging anybody else first.

P.S. Attached is a screenshot of the assertion error.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 9.54.41 AM.png (45.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Minor Bug/Gripe - "Bounce to" location

This is kind of normal. Just re-choose the re-named folder in the bouncing dialog window.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
This is kind of normal. Just re-choose the re-named folder in the bouncing dialog window.
Not possible for me. Pro Tools throws up an assertion error, unless I close and re-open the session.

If I just had to re-choose the bounce location, I would consider that expected behavior and it wouldn't be a problem for me.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 PM

Instead of renaming the folder, create a new one with the name you want, and copy files into that folder(which also keeps everything in the original folder for safe keeping)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-24-2018, 01:58 PM

The assertion is because you changed the name of the folder it's looking for while PT is running but did so outside of Pro Tools. If you want Pro Tools to know where you want things to go or to change the name of files/folders it's referencing do it inside of Pro Tools. This isn't a bug it's user error (sorry).

I'm with albee.

For me I bounce to the bounced files folder (which I did before it auto generated starting in 10 or 11) that way all of my bounces are in one place for future reference. Then I copy to other relevant folders (shared/Dropbox etc.). Otherwise things can get messy and/or lost. Most of my work is SFX and we generated thousands of bounced files and organization is just good workflow.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:33 PM

While I agree with all of you that this may be more of a user issue than a Pro Tools issue, I don't see any reason why Pro Tools can't just default back to the Bounced Files folder if it can't find that bounce path, rather than throwing up an assertion and forcing me to close and re-open the session. Unfortunately, when I am under extreme deadlines and trying to get things out to my clients, I sometimes need to refine the name of the folder that I zip and upload. I have trained myself to wait until after I'm done bouncing to change the name of the folder, but sometimes I forget, and this becomes an annoyance. I did say "Minor gripe"
Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 AM

Yes, agreed; Pro Tools should definitely *not* throw an ugly error in this case and force session close to proceed. Bounce location has always been a bit squirrely - but this is clearly a bug. Should be fixed.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Because it defaults to the last location and because you changed the name of that folder outside of Pro Tools while it's still running that location no longer exists so you will get an error. Not a bug.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:18 PM

Not a bug. Any any application would throw up an error message if you change the name of the destination folder outside of the application while its rendering or copying files. You’re asking the software to accomodate your impatience and unwillingness to just create a new folder prior to boumcing. It’s a matter of seconds.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Not a bug. Any any application would throw up an error message if you change the name of the destination folder outside of the application while its rendering or copying files. You’re asking the software to accomodate your impatience and unwillingness to just create a new folder prior to boumcing. It’s a matter of seconds.
Exactly this. Renaming any file or folder outside of any program that’s referencing it is going to cause problems. It’s basic computing manners. It’s chapter 1 in the “good computing guide”.

Just don’t do it.