Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2018, 01:59 PM

Default Re: What version of PT should i get for mac os high sierra 10.13.6 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Suggestion: if you do nothing else ditch that Apple rodent and get a real mouse. Basic things like left/right clicking can be indistinct and that scroll button - very uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

So you got the long keyboard right? Don't forget to turn it off when done working and shutting down so you don't kill the batteries; been there/done that and went with a wired keyboard (which sadly Apple doesn't sell anymore - you have to go third party).
Thanks for the tips, I haven’t actually tried them yet. Spent last night downloading what I need today I’ll start the install.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
So you still essentially end up with a wired keyboard & mouse. Makes no sense.

No, no. The batteries keep their charge for weeks. The difference is that now, when they need to be recharged, they can simply be connected (and used), without needing a second set of them, or having to wait until one’ single set is recharged.

It makes a lot of sense.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Would be interested in seeing as how the touchbar and PT get along
doesn't seem to be any conflict with it so far. installed PT 2018.4 yet to update to 2018.7 plus installed the standard PT plugins have yet to install the extras. ran the demo session seem pretty rock solid. the only things I came across was Steinberg need to make a 64bit ver of there UR44 software there is a windows 32 and 64bit but High Sierra warms they plan to go full 64bit and this current Mac version is only 32bit. I played the demo through a couple of times and got the 6011? error about buffer sizes. I changed that from 256 to 512 and haven't seen that prompt again after playing through a half dozen or so times more. pretty happy so far with the new MBP.

Last edited by xrekcor; 07-28-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Just an update since the latest release of PT2018.7

My MBP is listed in my signature came loaded with High Sierra 10.13.6 update, there was lil lil supplementary update going when I first go my MBP last week which I also ran since Avid said 10.13.6 wasn’t supported anyway.

I’ve have updated to the latest Pt2018.7 and it has actually improved PT for me. I Don’t get the buffer errors anymore. In fact I now have more buffer options where as before I only had 256, 512 and 1024. Was getting errors at 256 now I can run at 32 with no problem.

The only issue I had really was my Mac could no longer see my UR44 which the driver seemed to have been removed during the update. So reinstalled UR44 then PT couldn’t find it and wouldn’t let me access the playback engine to change to the Steinberg, keep throwing up the error prompt. Under Hardware only list the onboard sound card by the looks. Then it was suggested I start PT while holding down “n” which opened the playback engine on start up and I was able to change it. The whole thing has been rock solid since. However I don’t think I will be updating mOS anytime soon. I have turned off any auto updating in that area. Have to say PT look heaps better and feels (if I can say that) heaps better on a Mac than on my old windoze machine. Really happy with the investment I have made. Now it on with making sound!!!!! Right after I make a mirror image of my ssd and store it.

Btw, love the Magic Mouse and keyboard they work well for me as intended
Old 08-28-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Just an update since the latest release of PT2018.7

My MBP is listed in my signature came loaded with High Sierra 10.13.6 update, there was lil lil supplementary update going when I first go my MBP last week which I also ran since Avid said 10.13.6 wasn’t supported anyway.

I’ve have updated to the latest Pt2018.7 and it has actually improved PT for me. I Don’t get the buffer errors anymore. In fact I now have more buffer options where as before I only had 256, 512 and 1024. Was getting errors at 256 now I can run at 32 with no problem.

The only issue I had really was my Mac could no longer see my UR44 which the driver seemed to have been removed during the update. So reinstalled UR44 then PT couldn’t find it and wouldn’t let me access the playback engine to change to the Steinberg, keep throwing up the error prompt. Under Hardware only list the onboard sound card by the looks. Then it was suggested I start PT while holding down “n” which opened the playback engine on start up and I was able to change it. The whole thing has been rock solid since. However I don’t think I will be updating mOS anytime soon. I have turned off any auto updating in that area. Have to say PT look heaps better and feels (if I can say that) heaps better on a Mac than on my old windoze machine. Really happy with the investment I have made. Now it on with making sound!!!!! Right after I make a mirror image of my ssd and store it.

Btw, love the Magic Mouse and keyboard they work well for me as intended
How many track at 512 or 256 can you record without having any problems with getting an error just out of curiousity? That will kind of show how stable it is. Usually you can set and record easily 100 tracks or more without any problems. Let me know when after you try that. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:14 AM

my version of PT is limited to recording 32 tracks at once and at present I'm limited to 6 due to the interface I currently have although that is about to changed in the next month or 2 (half way to getting a digital desk that will record 32 tracks) even then I don't think I would ever need to record 100 tracks at once..... but would be nice to know I could if I wanted to. I have played the demo which from memory about 48-50 tracks with 2018.4 I would get the buffer error almost every time I payed it at 256 but ok at 512. after 2018.7 update I can play the same demo at 32 with no prob's however I do the odd buffer prompt from time to time which seems a lil erratic.... the last one a few days ago.