Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 PM

Default Re: will Protools HD ever get ARA or an equivalent Edit System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Cool workaround,thank you very much, but after commiting,PTHD creates always a new track with the cm file... thats not so good... Is there a way to get the source audio offline into melodyne without a new rendered file in a new track...cause thats a dealbreaker for me... and its not the same as ARA... In ARA Daws you only click edit in melodyne and the audio file opens directly in melodyne...
I agree that ARA would be awesome in Pro Tools and I wish Pro Tools would integrate it.

As far as the cm file goes. Right after Pro Tools creates the cm file, press undo and Pro Tools will remove the cm file, but Melodyne will maintain the transfer.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-03-2018, 03:46 AM

IIRC what I read, using a DAW with ARA2 will be a completely different experience with Melodyne. Instantiate Melodyne and your track will open up in a completely editable state, with no transfer necessary. You can then edit pitch, timing, and all the parameters, and the track itself is edited. The sync between DAW and ARA2 window is complete. Again, no transfer to/from Melodyne needed. Multiple tracks can be edited simultaneously, etc.

This explains it better than me. http://www.celemony.com/en/pm-ara2

They mention that Logic, S1, and Reaper are implementing it. Obviously it would be nice if Avid jumped on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
melodyne 4 rewire works fine here with PT and Cubase.. transports sync and i can load files directly into melodyne as if i was using it on it's own, but it's synced with PT.. This is my preferred way of working with it for now.. I always open PT first and make sure i have inserted a melodyne rewire on an aux or instr track,and sometimes it auto opens but if not i simply launch melodyne second and it slaves instantly.

Then when i have absolutely done all i need to do, i render the rewire channels to permanent audio in PT.

But that's usually right at the end at mix time.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 AM

I think we'll see a proprietary pitch automation lane one of these days - like Reason and DP. Avid isn't one for third party solutions (unless of course they purchase the third party). It will probably coincide with some improved elastic audio algorithms (TNM post). Just speculating.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Have you tried Commit>Do Nothing> Hide and make inactive the resulting commit file.
Bam, melodyne is transferred in non-real time. Works great on many tracks as well as very fast.
(Be sure to transfer-ready all tracks the need it) (Only on instance of Melodyne needed to see all readied tracks)
hey there- this seems to crash PTHD on my end. using 12.5.2HD, OS X 10.12.6

I am making one MD track transfer-ready, then doing commit track, do Nothing. it starts to work but then PT crashes.

any special considerations for this trick? would love to get it working...
Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Why doesn’t Melodyne adopt the way Izotope RX works to send/receive? That would accomplish what you ask and Izotope has been doing this for at least 3 versions now. (Audiosuite plugin, select region(s): send/send back-receive)

I’m with Rich Breen, here—I dislike the iZotope “solution” to the point of near-anger. It is indeed unnecessarily laborious and I always dread calling on RX when the need arises (despite its stellar audio quality).

To be clear, I’m not picking on you, BScout. I just wish to let AVID know that such a choice would not exactly be welcomed at my end.

Based on what I read about ARA2, when it was announced, it seems like a much better, and elegant, approach.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
IIRC what I read, using a DAW with ARA2 will be a completely different experience with Melodyne. Instantiate Melodyne and your track will open up in a completely editable state, with no transfer necessary. You can then edit pitch, timing, and all the parameters, and the track itself is edited. The sync between DAW and ARA2 window is complete. Again, no transfer to/from Melodyne needed. Multiple tracks can be edited simultaneously, etc.

This explains it better than me. http://www.celemony.com/en/pm-ara2

They mention that Logic, S1, and Reaper are implementing it. Obviously it would be nice if Avid jumped on board.
oh i agree..it would be a much better workflow.. i was just saying what i do in the meantime.. and I don't see it happening and think Avid will come with their own solution like steinberg did with variaudio.

Variaudio works great and you can even tell vocals to follow chords automatically.. Avid could come up with something like that fully integrated. We'll see!
Old 04-04-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post

I am making one MD track transfer-ready, then doing commit track, do Nothing. it starts to work but then PT crashes.

I'm still trying to figure out why it crashes sometimes and other times it works flawlessly. It really is a gamble for me. I'd say, for me, it works about 2/3rds of the time. Which in some cases can save tons of time. But if it crashes, then it can even add more time since you have to relaunch Pro Tools. Always save before you try it.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-04-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post

It hard crashes whenever I try it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:44 AM

I've been a Pro Tools user since 1993 but recently I've been trying out other platforms. I'm tired of being behind the curve. I appreciated the new features that appeared with versions 11 and 12 but it took entirely too long to get there. ARA integration in Pro Tools would be a game changer for Pro Tools/Melodyne users in terms of workflow. The current workflow is far too cumbersome when compared to ARA compatible DAWs. If Avid starts losing loyal customers like me to DAWs like Studio One they're in trouble. I work for a major network on the east coast. My company made the switch from Media Composer to Premiere a few years ago. Now Avid is poised to lose their foothold in audio here. If I change my DAW preference for my home studio it's only a matter of time until I make the change at my work facility. At this point it's looking very likely. If that happens Avid loses one of the largest audio post facilities in NYC through no fault but their own.

Last edited by jstan; 05-12-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Maybe its just me, but i think, Avid is really slow with Protools...
We are all paying the Plan, to get new updates...
But the real gamechanger is missing...
Ok we have track presets and eq curves in the mixer..., but other daws have that for years... And now the marketing says... omg so great and awesome...
I am working with Logic and Protools... and wow Logic has this features for a long time now...

I hope, there will be an update in the future, where i can say WOW...So great...
but i don t think, that will happen, cause Avid will bring little features, which are normal in other DAWs and the marketing will tell us, how great that is...

I love Protools..., but i miss the great steps of the past...
The last great thing, they ve done is to rebrand Protools HD to Ultimate...?
What should i say about this great thing...

I hope, its ok to criticize... I am a Protools User from my heart, but something is not ok...