Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Any Kontakt users?

I've started using Kontakt; no fancy libraries yet.......just the stock VSL string sounds. I have the latest version 4 using it in PT9 on a 002r. I generally run my 8 core mac at 7 processors, leaving one for the computer as suggested when these Macs came out. Other than the issues I have with Auto Tune on large sussions (another thread.......), I have no problems. But if I create an instance of Kontakt that has several instruments loading in it, I do better by switching the processors to 1! With just Kontakt on a track, buffer at 128 and before recording any midi to play the sounds loaded, the CPU meter shows 7%. If I change the processors to 7, it jumps to 18%. And this is with the Kontakt track being the ONLY track in a session.

No matter what processor setting I can only get the buffer as low as 128 without glitches. And I have 8 GB of RAM installed that I've verified as good. Kontakt has its memory server feature enabled in the prefs to get beyond the 4GB limit of PT. And the sound libraries are on a dedicated internal 7200 RPM drive.

Is this normal? Or can someone point me to some suggestions on using this better? I have Ivory, the Avid Expansion Pack VI's and Reason. All run much more stable and efficient than Kontakt.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Any Kontakt users?

I have said it once on here, I have said it twice on here, I have said it three times on here, I might have even said it four times on here? Native Instruments Plug-Ins are unstable in Pro Tools 8, 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.4, 8.0.4cs2... It's just unstable...I stopped using any Native Instruments Plug-Ins over a year ago. Now I have not tried any Native Instruments plug-Ins in Pro Tools 9, 9.0.1 or 9.0.2... but I do not think its even worth it to download any of the Native Instruments Plug-Ins and even take a chance even on Pro Tools 9.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM

I am running Komplete 7 and Kore 2 with 6 processors @ 80% with Error suppression enabled (for Kore 2). Kontakt is running very well for me. Kore 2 is a cpu hog, but it doesn't crash with error suppression enabled. If you have any older NI plug-ins, you may want to move them into your unused plug-ins folder and see if that helps. I ditched Acoustic Piano, B4, and Pro 53. It made a big difference. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM

The only NI plug I have is Kontakt and I'm positive everything is as current as possible and all qualified for PT9. No matter what the settings, the CPU meter is just literally all over the place with Kontakt. I can get about 6-8 instruments loaded in it. But after that PT just starts acting crazy. I can stop it by raising the buffer to 256. But of course, I can't stand the feel of playing at that. I've been reading through the NI forum.......mixed results there, but a lot of Windows users.

So........does it run stable in something else like Reaper or Logic? Anyone tried running it in something and rewiring it in? Does that change anything for the better or just complicate things? I had really hoped to get the LA Scoring Strings, which I believe are only for Kontakt, if it ran well enough. But as it is, I may return it for a refund.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM

For what its worth I run Kontakt on nearly every session I do. And I use it every single day. With large drum and string sets. I don't have a 4 gig instrument loaded... but I can have a large piano, 5 larger string patches, a 10 piece Slate kit, some horns and some spaceship noises loaded in and play fine. That with a bunch of amp sims and whatnot.

In my workflow and useage, it's as stable as anything else. Only real issue I have is with sometimes the midi track assignments being greyed out when I load a session. I know that's been discussed here but don't remember the fix.

I didn't get to read the above posts too in depth (on a session break here, dont have a ton of time)... but many folks who have these issues with cores and etc have "Enable Multiprocessor Support" checked in Kontakt. That's bad bad bad. That checkbox must be unticked (no X). And use the memory server built in (another checkbox). I can run 1.5 gig of samples and it doesn't cough or choke (in memory server mode with mult processor support disabled).

Maybe I am lucky? Whether it works better as an AU I don't know. I would imagine it's more efficient. But it is useable in 8 and 9 for me. It may be redundant, but check those settings. And even if this info can't help you, I hope it helps someone.

Some days I long for my 4 track Fostex.... ;-)
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM

I find Kontakt unstable in Pro Tools with large sessions. I simply run it in Reaper ReWired and all is well. It's very efficient in Reaper.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
I didn't get to read the above posts too in depth (on a session break here, dont have a ton of time)... but many folks who have these issues with cores and etc have "Enable Multiprocessor Support" checked in Kontakt. That's bad bad bad. That checkbox must be unticked (no X). And use the memory server built in (another checkbox).

Multiprocessor unchecked. Memory Server is on. Runs pathetic.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I find Kontakt unstable in Pro Tools with large sessions. I simply run it in Reaper ReWired and all is well. It's very efficient in Reaper.
Guess I'll have to try that. I can't imagine using it at all in a large PT session. I'm getting nothing but trouble and all I'm using are 1 stereo track of a mix, a track for Kontakt (I've tried intrument, audio and aux........they all behave the same) and about ten midi tracks driving 10 violin, violas, cello, tympani, etc instruments in Kontakt. At 128 buffer, the CPU spikes like crazy.........shoots between 10% and 90% constantly.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasanta View Post
Guess I'll have to try that. I can't imagine using it at all in a large PT session. I'm getting nothing but trouble and all I'm using are 1 stereo track of a mix, a track for Kontakt (I've tried intrument, audio and aux........they all behave the same) and about ten midi tracks driving 10 violin, violas, cello, tympani, etc instruments in Kontakt. At 128 buffer, the CPU spikes like crazy.........shoots between 10% and 90% constantly.
Yep, write the MIDI in PT and let Reaper ReWired do the heavy lifting.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-17-2011, 05:49 AM

I'm running multiple instances of Kontakt 4, along with several other East West Vi's with no issues. I usually track at 256 to 512. I haven't tried 128, really haven't needed to. I'm using default settings in Pro Tools and Kontakt (haven't modified anything). I'm using PT 9.0.2 on 8 Core Mac Pro with 20GB memory. I've got 8 processors selected within preferences (default). As far as stability issues with Kontakt, I have no issues. All the NI plugs have been working really well for me.