Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Default Re: bounce - real time only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I am another that doesn't mind the real time bounce that bad(how impatient are we anyway?). In any case, if you really hate it, you could bus everything to a stereo AUDIO track and keep that in record as you go. Once you reach the end, just consolidate the final stereo mix and export it.(check your punch points in case you need any cross-fades or region end adjustments).
I do this sometimes, but I prefer using automation to make changes to the mix in case you need to come back to it later. Another plus of having to do a real time bounce - it gives me a break while it's bouncing down!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 AM

Real-time is always mandatory, if you have one external insert or one TDM plugin instantiated, and whenever you use one RTAS plugin that does not have AS couterpart available.

Therefore, most of the time, non-realtime bounce is not an option anyway.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Non-realtime bounce would be just that, an option, which could be often useful. As BTD is now (realtime), it's not really an option because recording to track via busses outperforms it in many ways.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I feel like I've teleported into an alternate universe reading this thread.

Whether or not BTD ever nulled in DP has nothing to do with whether or not it nulls in PT. It does, unless you've got some non-syncable modulation going on, such as a chorus, flanger, or phaser plug-in.

I don't know about PT with Audiomedia cards - was that a different version of the program or something? I've used PT regularly since 3.1 in 1995, and I'm not aware that it has ever had non-realtime bounce. Certainly not with TDM hardware, and certainly not with RTAS plugs.

The BTD shortcut has been there for years. Maybe I'm losing my grip on reality, but I don't think PT existed 15 before that shortcut was implemented.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM

I agree with NewdestinyX (I you showed me how to do this, if you're the same person). I have worked in DP for many years and I didn't need a null test to hear the difference. Working in PT 9 I have been bouncing in real time, and so far I don't hear a difference yet. The only reason I'm bouncing to disk is because when I buss the way NDX recommends, I get the can't account for delay warning. I do agree having a choice would be a very good and useful feature.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I don't know about PT with Audiomedia cards - was that a different version of the program or something?
Basically same version, but without TDM of course.

Quote:
I've used PT regularly since 3.1 in 1995, and I'm not aware that it has ever had non-realtime bounce. Certainly not with TDM hardware, and certainly not with RTAS plugs.
There were no RTAS plug-ins on that time. Pro Tools (non-TDM) had some simple realtime plug-ins (like EQ, I guess they weren't even called to plug-ins?), and you surely could bounce with them.

Realtime bounce is just non-feature to me. Haven't used it for years.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Non-realtime bounce is just non-feature to me.
Same here.

Non-realtime bounce loses time. Why? I could not even think of delivering something that I have not heard myself. Simple quality control. Therefore I would have to listen to the bounced file in real-time anyway. Thus I would lose time making that file, if I wasn't making the file as I listen to the bounce.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 AM

Uh, silly me (was late)... I of course meant to write that realtime bounce is just non-feature to me (corrected now). When recording the final product I always record via busses to an empty track, never bounce.

Faster than realtime bounce would be a real time saver in many phases of work, where you are still going to listen the result anyway before delivering your mix to anyone.

Which brings in another interesting question. When you bounce to disk (or record to track), aren't you listening only the input of what is going to be recorded. So listening your real time bounce is not really off-disc monitoring. To be really sure what you are delivering, you should listen the result in separate pass anyway.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Which brings in another interesting question. When you bounce to disk (or record to track), aren't you listening only the input of what is going to be recorded. So listening your real time bounce is not off-disc monitoring. To be really sure what you are delivering, you should listen the result in separate pass anyway.
No.

Unless you have ticked the allow RTAS clicks and pops option, then you can trust BTD completely. If there is a hiccup, then BTD will stop and not produce a file. But if the file is successfully created, then it is a 100% perfect match for what you have heard during the bounce.

This might be a PT-only feature. AFAIK, other DAW's (DP, Nuendo, Logic) which have non-realtime bounce are not that accurate. PT is realtime for a reason -- and I love it! Huge timesaver, but I might be somewhat anal when it comes to quality control...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
But if the file is successfully created, then it is a 100% perfect match for what you have heard during the bounce.
I wouldn't call anything 100% perfect I haven't checked after the recording or using off-disc monitoring during the recording (à la Sound Devices recorders). 99.9% perfect maybe in this case, and the same goes to direct to track recording -method.

Quote:
I might be somewhat anal when it comes to quality control...
Nor sure what you mean with anal here... Maybe I don't want to.