Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Vocal Tracking?

I'm working w/ a band kinda comparable to the used, afi, glassjaw, etc... where there is some melodic singing, and then some balls out screaming. I'm looking for a little insight as to how I should approach recording the vocals? Generally do you guys take things line by line? Do a couple takes......listen back, if it's cool move on? Do you usually physically double the main vocal? What about the chorus(s)? I know every situation is different, but I was hoping to get some general ideas. Panning, how many tracks (doubles, etc...) Any comments, stories would be great. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Vocal Tracking?

Typically, once a singer is warmed up, I'll have them make a pass through the song. I then use that, if we feel it is basically a good take, and correct the necessary parts. IF there are very different distinctive dynamic parts, I'll do each parts separately, resetting the preamp chain for optimum dynamic levels for each section.

I'll then take all this and comp my keeper vocal track.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the reply where. What about doubling, and panning (like BG VOX, etc..)? As far as your pre-amp chain.....I remember from past posts that you favor the Octopre (over it's competition in that same price range.......digimax, etc..), do you have one? If so are you mainly using if for drums?, or have you tracked other instruments w/ it? Mainly Vox. That's my only pre-amp (aside from the stock 002/R pre's)....just wondering if you use it, and are happy w/ the results? I see from your site you have the TL Audio, HHB pre's, but I was just curious about the Octopre. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:55 PM

make sure you do all the screaming after you do all the singing tracks.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:56 PM

Approaching this, I would probably suggest doing several passes on all the melodic vocal parts, and then doing several passes on all the screaming parts, and then comp them together. I don't like doing things line by line because it often ruins the continuity, as you might well imagine. I'd rather comp them together, using one track that has the best overall performance, and then slipping the other takes in here and there to make it sound really good and cohesive.

I might do some doubling after we've decided what are the keeper tracks. Panning - depends on the song.

I usually don't double vocals, but sometimes if I do, it'll be the choruses or certain section for effects.

I don't use Autotune. If they can't sing the part, then they need to change their part or get it right or get another singer or get singing lessons or whatever.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Typically, once a singer is warmed up, I'll have them make a pass through the song. I then use that, if we feel it is basically a good take, and correct the necessary parts. IF there are very different distinctive dynamic parts, I'll do each parts separately, resetting the preamp chain for optimum dynamic levels for each section.

I'll then take all this and comp my keeper vocal track.
Yes, Where02190 has a good point about doing a run through of the song. You should never record a "dry" take. Half the time, a person might nail the song on his/her first time. So, always record the singer, even if he/she thinks it's only practice. Try doing all of the screaming after you record the other parts of the song, because you can then appropriately set the amount of gain, compression and limiting for that particular section.
I usually double the vocals in certain key phrases where is applies. I don't really like the idea of just duplicatating a part and off-setting it to sound like two different sources. Have the singer sing those specific phrases/parts 2-4 different times. That way, the parts will naturally sound different from the two totally different takes, and your vocals will sound fuller in those phrases. You could add different verb with pre decay and panning one hard left, one hard right and one straight up center to give you a full and interesting affect.

Stormy
Old 11-30-2003, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply where. What about doubling, and panning (like BG VOX, etc..)? As far as your pre-amp chain.....I remember from past posts that you favor the Octopre (over it's competition in that same price range.......digimax, etc..), do you have one? If so are you mainly using if for drums?, or have you tracked other instruments w/ it? Mainly Vox. That's my only pre-amp (aside from the stock 002/R pre's)....just wondering if you use it, and are happy w/ the results? I see from your site you have the TL Audio, HHB pre's, but I was just curious about the Octopre. Thanks.
UNless I'm going for that sound specificially, I rarely double a lead vocal. For backround vocals, I'll often do several passes of group vocals, unless there's a specific multipart harmony we're going for.

AFA what our specifics are for recording these, we use the Mackie HDR for all recording, The 001 is for additional track playback only (via an appogee converter). I tend to favor the TL Audio C-1's for vocals, however The Radius and a Distressor is a close second.

Regarding the Octapre, I'm a gear junkie, with a great Proaudio dealer, so I'm constantly trying new and different things. IMHO the OCtapre is much more musical sounding than it's Presonus competition, but thats just my opinion, YMMV.