Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-20-2001, 07:07 AM

Default Unsteady drummers

What's the best way to tidy up the drummers unsteady preformance?
Other then get a good drummer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I guess I could use cut, crossfade and alot of time, but does anybody know a faster way?

Frode
Old 06-20-2001, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Unsteady drummers

You're pretty much right- cuts and A LOT of time- you will have to deal with some other issues due to the fact that his late snare hit will still be audible in the OH mics and the Hat mic, and probably the tom mics, etc., so it's not just as easy as quantizing all the hits!

Some things just require time.

Or a better drummer! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 09:39 AM

Re the issues Joe mentioned. The first step is consolidate all your drum tracks, zoom in to the sample level, and align them all together so your hits are all in sync. Then put them in a group for editing. If the song has a click track, use that as a guide for your alignment. As a time saver, you could paste in a *repaired* verse or chorus again in other parts of the song where they occur. Just be careful where the cymbal crashes occur so you don't clip any decay. After all the repair is done, I'll consolidate again and experiment with nudging the entire snare and kick track to improve the feel.

ProTools makes very steady drummers [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2001, 10:12 AM

Check out what I worte under the Bass And Kick post. It will help! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2001, 09:18 AM

Have you ever tried fixing a stereomix?
I have a mix that varies from 132-144bpm.
Other than that it sounds good...
I guess this is where the Beat decective comes handy.

Thanks for your input,
Frode

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: FK ]
Old 06-22-2001, 12:02 AM

I just edited 11-tracks of live drums...50MB of fades, 500+ edits. It sounds like I added 20 years of playing experience to the guy! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't use Beat Detective...it sucks too much life outta the performance. Just dig in and start command-E'ing, nudging/shifting, and pulling those region boundaries. In 1hr you'll be done!

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: PeeTee ]
Old 06-22-2001, 04:25 AM

Use region autofade, 5ms. Then you'll only have to carry out very few fades yourself.

Most of the time you'll be best of only cutting and nudging all the drumtracks together. Then copying good parts to irreparable parts. I only nudge single tracks as a last resort, or maybe I just pass. Most of the time, the drums will sounds great to anyone but the editor much sooner than the editor is happy. Okay, I'll admit nudging the kick from time to time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Aligning the tracks so all the hits match up? Afraid that's not possible. I assume you mean phase-aligning the tracks. The problem is, what's your reference? You can't have both kick, hat and snare in time in all the mikes. Normally I'd go for the snare, but watch it with cymbals, they don't sound too god when not in phase.

My name is Ben and I am an editor..
Old 06-22-2001, 02:15 PM

Something that might help is to use Strip Silence on the drum tracks to have each mic isolated to a particular part of the kit. Overheads are the hardest but you can get them to only pick up cymbals if they were placed properly during recording. You will have to trash your room mics and this won't work if you were using over heads for toms. The funny thing is, the worse the drummer, the more mics you need so you can get the separation you need for editing. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2001, 05:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PDupre:
Something that might help is to use Strip Silence on the drum tracks to have each mic isolated to a particular part of the kit. Overheads are the hardest but you can get them to only pick up cymbals if they were placed properly during recording. You will have to trash your room mics and this won't work if you were using over heads for toms. The funny thing is, the worse the drummer, the more mics you need so you can get the separation you need for editing. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would never get you natural sounding drums.

/ Ben
Old 06-23-2001, 06:41 AM

I thought it not necessary to mention that my live drum tracks are _grouped_ together while editing. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Region autofade slows me down.

"Aligning the tracks so all the hits match up?"

Who the hell would do that? I treat the drumkit as a whole instrument. I use the kick drum as the overall reference against either a click, drumloop or tempo map I define.

Strip silence for drums is a no-no. I'll set up a basic faders mix, and only automate the toms by bringing down -15dB overall when the toms aren't sounding.

You and I are probably recording/editing different styles of music. For this particular production, drum machine tightness is a must! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: PeeTee ]