Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 01-03-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Intermittent left monitor dropout

Hi.

I have an annoying recurring problem with my C8. Sometimes the signal completely drops from my left monitor for no apparent reason. The only way I can get it back is restarting the C8. However, if I press the mono button the left monitor is delivering sound, but releasing the mono switch kills it again.

Anyone experienced this?

Simon.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Intermittent left monitor dropout

Yes. I purchased my C8 brand new. It is probably about a month old now. Just recently, while monitoring the “External Source” the left channel dropped all but completely out. It sounded as if I had a bad cable with an intermittent connection or contamination on the contacts. I systematically began eliminating variables to isolate the defect (cables, monitors, signal source feeding C8, etc…)

I isolated the anomaly to the C8, unfortunately. I am an electronic technician by trade, so I feel fairly competent with troubleshooting electronics. Imagine my disappointment discovering my one-month-old C8 that cost $1200 is already failing. I exercised the pots and jacks with no avail at first, then like voodoo magic, it decided to start working properly. I do not know for how long though. It does not evoke a strong level of confidence for a “Pro” piece of equipment such as this.

I have not contacted Digi at this point. If it starts failing again, I may have to send it in. Maybe after United Parcel Smashers gets done playing kickball with it at the UPS hub, it will knock the gremlins out of it and then it’ll work fine when Digi gets it… “We couldn’t duplicate the problem.”
Command 8
Adam S2-A Monitors
Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 AM

I feel and share the pain!

As I said, it only happens occasionally with my C8, so I could probably live with it, yet it still is a pain in the swiss when I have to reboot it (which means restarting SlowTools).
Old 01-14-2005, 06:34 PM

I have been useing the monitor outs on my 002r directly to my speakers. But have been thinking about useing the C/8 for a while now. All these post about crackling and cutting out makes me not want to try it. I guess I should just to see what happens.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com