Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Think inside the box

Having recently bought an HD2 Accel, I need to "bone up" on what's HOT in the Plug-in department.

Any opinions on the Master X3 or (X5?) for mastering "inside the box".

I've had the Finalizer in the past (yawn) and was wondering if this is comparable to the hardware processor I've had bolted up in my rack. And, was wondering if I should slam down the moola for the Master X stuff -is it any good?

I'm curious about Master X as they don't have a demo for XP TDM -or should I just go with outboard gear?

I'd like to take a pass on Waves for now -or am I running out of options?

Thanks for any help,
len

PS.
I'm trying to stay "in the box"
Please no advice on "how to", or where to take my audio for mastering .
Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Think inside the box

It is a shame that there is no demo, because really it's going to be up to your ears in the end, not what any one in here says to you.

I actually played a bit with the Master X3 on one of my mixes (v.s 5 years of using waves, so hardly a fair "test")

However, I couldn't seem to make what I was doing with it "Transparent" everything I did I felt I could hear the compression, limiting, and any curve or multi band frequency settings I played with, sounded filtered, or SOUNDED eq'd to me.

I still felt like I got way more transparent headroom simply pulling the threshold down on the L2. (I know you're avoiding waves, but it's my only other tool of comparison)

I certailnly didn't give the Master X3 a "run for it's money" tweaking for hours or anything, but I did play, for 20 minutes or so, in a fairly well tuned control room, and know I'd have to work very hard with this plug, to give me headroom that "I couldn't hear"

5 guys will probably dissagree, and 5 will agree....

However... all will agree...Demo's are a good thing.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Hello Kingfish,

I know what your saying about hearing the compression and filtering..it seems that's what I was experiencing back when I had the hardware version racked up (even though extensive tweaking could yield some results).

I also agree that my ears will have to be the judge because one persons audio nirvana is the other persons noise (that's the kicker of paying a few hundred dollars for a plug-in that a person hasn't heard).

However, I'm getting close with the HD2 Accel plug-in package (and others that I have in stock) but looking for even more options.

Maybe I'll call TC Electronics and see if they have any demo plans or rental options not listed or anything in the works .

Thanks for your advice and reply!

Len
Old 01-06-2005, 10:30 PM

might not be enough on their own for mastering but i would look into the sony oxford plugs, the inflator is a great master compressor.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:45 AM

Thanks bb,

I'll give 'em a try.
I tried their EQ once as was impressed by the quality sound.

len