Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-10-2020, 05:29 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and DANTE virtual sound card

I'm having the exact same issue. New Mac Pro, Catalina, MTRX studio, current version of DVS card, current version of Dante Controller and no synch with the Mac Pro. I also have a Lynx Hilo and all devices are recognized but the Mac will not synch no matter what I've tried. Dante is the clock. I've tried lower channels in the DVS, I've tried thunderbolt to ethernet adaptors, I used a switch, I took the switch out of line, I've tried different cables and I've spoken to a Dante certified tech and nothing has fixed it. I had the exact same setup on my old Mac Pro trashcan and everything worked fine. That connected to an AirPort Extreme and the MTRX was plugged into the Mac via thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor and it worked fine and never had an issue. There has to be something with the Mac. Also, when I plug a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor into the Mac my network settings show an IP address but the DVS does not see any IP address at all. Just will not work no matter what I try.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:40 PM

Jan Lykke,

Thanks for your response and information. We did resolve most of the items you listed.
Part of the issue from before had to do with a secondary path to our Dante network switch. We traced that and then used a small 5-port unmanaged switch to handle the connection to the MTRX Studio, to the Mac Pro Thunderbolt to Ethernet and to another laptop in the suite fed off the main Dante networked switch all with manually assigned IP's.
Once we redirected DVS to that port, it all worked. Cleaning up an secondary connection from Mac Pro to MTRX St (used for DADman communications) and pointing it to the Thunderbolt port.
Appearantly Audinate is aware of this issue with 10Gbe ports...
Quote from Audinate response someone posted in another forum...
"...Well in case there is an issue with the 10Gbe ports, engineering should be testing those for the next DVS release. I'll check for any specific bug cases for the next release."

Thanks for all your assistance.

Doug
Old 10-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Goombot,

As listed in last response to ntp-ji, the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on a 2019 Mac Pro did resolve our issue. We are assigning different static IP's on a closed network for the MTRX St device and its Dante assignment, Mac Pro Thunderbolt to 1Gb Ethernet adapter, and everything else on our Dante network. Your scenario maybe different with something serving as a DHCP server.
We did have two out of four suites experience an issue where the adapter seem to go offline. Where like you described, the adapter showed its assigned IP but showed no network activity (though traffic could be seen on its port on the switch) and DVS wasn't "seeing" or listing the IP on that port selection. Interestingly, a simple re-stab of the Thunderbolt connection (while DVS was offline) and re-starting of DVS cleared that issue. This happened on two machines around the same time and it hasn't happened again since (less than a week ago). We're still monitoring for any repeats there.

I hope this helps.

System Details - Multiple Audio Suites with the following similar setup:

Hardware:
Mac Pro 2019, 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon Processor, 128 GB 2933 MHz RAM with AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB Graphics. ATTO FastFrame NS12 Dual 10GB Fiber Card and HDX (1) card.

Avid MTRX Studio, Avid S6-40 w/3 fader, 4x Knob, 3x Process & 3x Display Modules, Genelec 5.1 Monitoring System w/8040, 8020 & 7040

Software:
macOS Catalina 10.15.6, Pro Tools 2020_05, DADman, Audinate Dante Controller & DVS
Plug-ins:
Avid Complete Bundle
Waves V11 w/Diamond, 360º Surround Tools, Studio Classics & Vocal Rider.
iZotope RX 7 and Ozone 8
Antares Auto-Tune Evo
and more