Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: ProTools 8.0.3 Big Bug...

Could one or more of you guys send me a session with media that reproduces this problem?

If you can make a session that has the minimum contents to reproduce the problem that would be ideal. If the session and content is going to be very large, I can provide a DigiDelivery address to send it to.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 AM

Question Re: ProTools 8.0.3 Big Bug...

Same problem here, reinstalled os and PT, still using the canopus ADVC 100, thought it might be that, but seems like guys with the advc 110 also experiencing same thing. After a restart sesion opens fine with canopus on, but if I close that sesion open another sesion, with or without video, close that and then open the previous sesion with a movie file, PT gets to "reactivating sends" sits there for a couple of secs, and unexpectantly quits.
Have not tried the work around, switching the canopus off, will try that and let you guys know.
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 AM

Talking Re: ProTools 8.0.3 Big Bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
Could one or more of you guys send me a session with media that reproduces this problem?

If you can make a session that has the minimum contents to reproduce the problem that would be ideal. If the session and content is going to be very large, I can provide a DigiDelivery address to send it to.

Thanks
Every session I have with a dv files should crash once on 15 openings minimum.

I can send you one but seriously just plug a canopus and use a session with a dv visual in and you're on imho.

send me a pm if you still want a session, I'll be glad to provide one, I have tons of it

best
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Avid

We've looked into this and it appears to be an Apple issue that they're already tracking.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Silly question, if it's an Apple issue why does the problem arise when ProTools is updated?

Should I still bother to submit crash logs?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I also have the exact problem but I have a different work around that is 100% effective. Instead of bothering with the Canopus Box which is out of easy reach, I rename the pix folder by adding an X to its name. PT 8.0.3 LE then opens perfectly with the relink window informing me it cannot find pix. I then relink to the renamed folder and all is well. The next time I need to boot the session I rename the folder again, usually back to the original name and go through the above steps.

My pix folder's name then flip flops between Pix Folder and XPix Folder

I have the unexpected quit on opening about 50% of the time, after the quit is when I rename the Pix Folder

I hope this makes sense, please post if I am not clear.

Last edited by stustan; 01-07-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
Silly question, if it's an Apple issue why does the problem arise when ProTools is updated?
I also want an anwser to that question.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Hi,

We can now reproduce this bug in our test lab. We're still investigating what is going with this bug and are trying to narrow down the root cause of the issue.

It looks like there is some combination of changes that were made in Pro Tools 8.0.3 and updates to the Apple QuickTime software that introduced this issue.

I'm glad to see there are several workarounds for this problem, albeit not particularly nice ones.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
Hi,

We can now reproduce this bug in our test lab. We're still investigating what is going with this bug and are trying to narrow down the root cause of the issue.

It looks like there is some combination of changes that were made in Pro Tools 8.0.3 and updates to the Apple QuickTime software that introduced this issue.

I'm glad to see there are several workarounds for this problem, albeit not particularly nice ones.
Thanks Bob. I look forward to the fix.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 AM

I am so glad I saw this thread a few days ago - it kept me from bugging out on an ADR session the other day - where re-opening the last session would crash 8.0.3 / 10.5.8 on a Harpertown.

It happened to me every time until I turned the Canopus ADVC110 off, open session, Canopus back on. Real drag.