Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 04:04 AM

Default greyed out regions in tracks

and italics in the region bin. The workspace browser can't find and relink a whole song.
I wasn't there when it happened
Our normal process is to remove or delete unused regions from the audio bin before copying a session to another drive for safety, like cleaning and spot erasing in the old days.
When you do this the region names disappear from the region bin, no?
Last night I thought that my assistant had inadvertently highlighted "select all" instead of "select unused regions" and wiped out the whole song but this is impossible because all the region names are still in the bin, they are only in italics and greyed out. All of the regions are intact where they were in the tracks except that they're greyed out, interestingly all the fades are not greyed out and still playback. He says that he performed our normal procedure and that nothing seemed strange until the end when all the names appeared in italics and all the regions in tracks were greyed over and 10 midi regions appeared out of nowhere.
What could have happened?
I've now backed up and unmounted the disc, looking to get a recovery program that can check if the file are recoverable.
If they were deleted in the normal manner then the region names should disappear from the region bin but they're still there!
does DIGITECH SUPPORT have any ideas, first I thought it was operator error but now it seem like something else.

G5 DP2GHz 2.5 GB RAM 160GBSATA, 250GB SATA, MAGMA 7 PCI chassis, SNS SAN AV 4x36GB, Control24.
10.3.8, PT6.7cs7
Old 04-20-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: greyed out regions in tracks

Hi,

Don't do any more writing to your hard drive untill you have used a recovery program!! my guess is you did infact clear all regions!?

Disk warrior or tech tool are the favourites i think.

There are some well qualified people on this forum who will help you through it?

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Avid

The italics means that Pro Tools cannot locate the region.

Are any of the italicized files also in bold? Bold lettering indicates the 'parent' audio file - the actual audio on your hard drive, rather than just region markers. If anything is in bold and also italicized, it means Pro Tools cannot locate the actual audio file and any regions referring to that file will be italicized. You can do a search on the computer for the actual audio file to see if it go moved elsewhere or was originally located somewhere else on your computer (this can be the case if the file was imported, but not copies to the audio files folder for the session).

Typically the only way that regions or audio files would not be found would be if the files were moved, renamed or deleted outside of Pro Tools.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Well, here's what happened.
He first deleted all the files, then realizing that he made a booboo, closed the session without saving thinking that his actions would be forgotten by PT, which they were, and he could go through our normal cleaning process once the nice audio files were back in the bin again, except that they'd been deleted and PT forgot where they were.
Mistake N°1 - he should have called me right away and let me make the rest of the mistakes, no that's mistake N°2, N°1 was deleteing all the file in the region bin.
Mistake N°3 was letting me go on investigating for a sleepless day and a half to finally surmise what had happened before explaining to me in a comprehansive way what had happened.
So, files gone, I recovered about 20 with a program that seems like it works but the drive had been used after the fact and 75 files could not be recovered. I found a lot of files with only noise but still had the wav extension but no unique id. noise.
Thanks to every one who replied it has helped me resolve this situation and I've found some pretty neat utility products.. My assistant has learned many a valuable lesson and is more serious as a result. specially after seeing the getting fired part
I was looking at products to prevent this as it was happening, I'm saving my pennies.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:52 PM

greyed out regions means that protools thought the takes were too full of clams to save. just let them go. OK i am joking, but this happened to me and i never saw them again. i had to explain to the artist that the dog ate their homework and i gave them a free re-do. they had a good time and said they liked the new stuff better anyway. tell them this funny story and they will laugh and pat you on the back and you can all have a mentos together.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 04-22-2005, 04:53 AM

I am currently having a problem with Pro Tools making audio files unreadable.

I have a library of audio files that I am creating and using on a series. A number of files were provided to me as SDII, 44.1 KHz. I used Peak (4.1) to batch convert them to AIF, 48 KHz to correspond to the rest of the media and the projects.

When I reopened my current session, some files were "not found". I determined they were unreadable, and noticed they were all the Peak converted files. I ultimately decided to re-convert the files and replace the unreadable ones.

I went to the Workspace Browser to check the files, and they seemed fine. I decided to have the browser draw the waveforms thinking this would be a way to put PT's stamp of approval on the files somehow.

This process hosed every file I tried it with. Unreadable by Pro Tools, Max OSX and even Peak.

I am currently running
Mac OS-X 10.3.8
PT 6.7 cs4
Peak 4.1

Ray
Old 02-21-2024, 05:57 PM

A client sent me an AAF file of an interview, and the audio regions were grey. This is just a friendly reminder to simply select them and press CMD+M to verify they don't come muted from the client's session, (before panicking and searching serious issues)

Happy editing!