Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Please Help A Novice-PRO TOOLS not recognizing audio

The hardware-

Mackie 402 compact mixer - going into- M-Audio Fast Track Pro -going out to - just some computer monitor speakers.

I am trying to record with my MIC hooked up to the MACKIE mixer via MIGAMI XLR's. I can hear myself in the monitors or headphones alternatively, and I can see the MACKIE picking up my voice. However, PRO TOOLS SE is not recognizing my vocals or ANYTHING that has to do with the levels when I try and record.

Changing the settings in WINDOWS 7 to 'record' 'LINE 1/2' from the MACKIE. check. Turning on all PHANTOM POWER options. check. I tried to adjust all possible knobs to no avail.

Can anyone help? The MIC is a SM58 or SENNHEISER 600/800 alternatively.

thx in advance this is racking my brain

also yes, I have armed pro tools as well as the track i'm trying to record on. nothing. thx!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Please Help A Novice-PRO TOOLS not recognizing audio

What does "pro tools not recognizing my vocal" exactly mean? Not hearing anything out the monitor or headphones (and exactly to what/where are those monitors and headphones connected? The Mackie, M-Audio FTP or the computer's internal audio card?). Do the level meters on that Pro Tools track move at all?

Make things as dumb and simple as possible to test. Verify the SM58 (because its dynamic and does not need phantom powrer) is working on the Mackie (meters move, you can hear stuff monitored directly off the Mackie etc.). Then connect that Mic direct to the Fast Track Pro front-panel Input 1 using an XLR cable. Pad off and turn the gain half way up. And connect a pair of headphones to the Fast Track Pro.

I'm not sure what input settings in Windows 7 you are changing ("'record' 'LINE 1/2'") could you exactly describe what you are doing. I assume you want to record a single mono mic track right?

In Pro Tools what is the track input device set to: you find this on the "input buttons/label" part of each mix or edit strip (whenever you have input/output stuff displayed ? You may want to take a screen shot of all this and upload to a file sharing site and provide a link here.

I never use SE, and don't know what the I/O pages even looks like but I assume they are similar to other versions of Pro Tools. If the things above don't solve the problem is possible that you do not have the inputs correctly assigned for the channel you are trying to record or the I/O is messed up (if you can go to Setup> I/O and select all the I/O items, press the delete button and then press the default the input and output I/O settings on the I/O page).

What exact versions of things you have (e.g. Windows 7 what service pack, what exact version of Pro Tools SE) and even a Sandra report may help if this gets more complex. Read the Help is Help You link at the top of this page.

Darryl
Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 PM

Okay, allow me to elaborate. The novice part extends to explaining myself. Thx for the quick response!

System-

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Pro Tools Version 8.0.3. M Audio FTP is the 'soundcard' or 'interface' between the mixer and laptop. via USB.

The Monitors are ran into the M-Audio FTP via gold plated red/whites. The main outs from the Mackie 402 are running to the M-Audio FTP via monster dj gold TRS 1/4 cables.

The mics are going into the Mackie via gold plated migami XLR's. The Mackie is showing the microphone is working via the levels meter and I can adjust dynamically with the knobs. I can also here myself in the monitor speakers AS WELL as hear the imported beat in pro tools when I hit 'play'.

When I said changing the 'record' setting I meant right clicking the sound icon in the right hand corner and changing the 'recording' device to the M-Audio's 'line 1/2' which would be the main outs. Screen's coming.

When I plug directly into the M-Audio interface I do get feedback from the box, not sure about pro tools recording though. Addressing shortly.

I am going to try and change the 'in/out' for pro tools like you said in a little bit and can screen shot my results.

thx for the help!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Could someone who know how to use this version of PRO TOOL's help out please?

All of my devices work properly. Sorry for no screenshots, I do not know how to take them. I don't think it's really needed that I take pictures of all this, there is only 3 cords involved and the problem is really within the pro tools or windows 7 settings.

again, thx in advance
Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM

I put the XLR's into the M Audio directly and I have sound and response from the pro tools levels and also I can hear myself in the speakers.

does this indicate I need to adjust the settings so it records the mackie, as I am sure that will have the best sound in the long run instead of going directly into the m audio.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enthSun View Post
I put the XLR's into the M Audio directly and I have sound and response from the pro tools levels and also I can hear myself in the speakers.

does this indicate I need to adjust the settings so it records the mackie, as I am sure that will have the best sound in the long run instead of going directly into the m audio.
For when you are tracking, make sure you understand what the mix knob does and whether you are hearing yourself though Pro Tools or via the in-box monitoring.

I have no idea exactly how you wired this together before. Many things could have been wrong. You should be using two separate 1/4" TRS straight through patch cables going from the Mackie TRS main outs into the M-Audio FTP Front panel input 1 and 2 jacks with the switches set to Line (not inst) - but that switch setting would not explain you apparently seeing no signal at all before.

If you are trying to improve sound, do some tests and listen. Don't just expect better sound with the Mackie mixer front-ending the M-Audio, neither will have high quality pre-amps etc. There is a benefit to just using one box, with a KISS approach (keep it simple stupid, not the band), lots less things to go wrong, and its more portable. The only a-priori reason to put a Mackie mixer in front to the interface is if you really absolutely have to make up for I/O limitations of the FTP, e.g. by mixing-down some tracks when tracking.

Darryl
Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enthSun View Post
When I said changing the 'record' setting I meant right clicking the sound icon in the right hand corner and changing the 'recording' device to the M-Audio's 'line 1/2' which would be the main outs. Screen's coming.
The audio icon/control panel in the Windows systray affects Windows audio, not the audio inputs for Pro Tools. Each Pro Tools track input is controlled by the I/O input button and to get more technical the Setup > I/O dialog screens. Pro Tools user guide will detailed discussion of all this, and unlike many other manuals is worth killing some time to read.

Darryl
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM

I think you gave me enough information to keep experimenting...Interesting note that the mixer may not be needed, I will do some testing with just the interface and i'll post results if you are interested.

I do have the Mackie going from the main outs (two 1/4 inch TRS) to the FTP main outs. And then RCA white/red to the monitors.

Looking for more I/O setting with pro tools now, thanks for the advice man. Total novice.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM

I am going to try and record some stuff with the M Audio by itself and see if the quality is decent enough for my purposes...Thanks for the help. After changing the I/O on protools still no dice with the Mackie. If you can think of anything else please help!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM

If Pro Tools works with a mic connected directly to the Interface then do not change any Pro Tools settings but just unplug the Mic from the combo connector and plug in a TRS cable from the mixer line/main outs and check the interface input switch is set to "line" not "inst". If that is not working you have a faulty or wrongly wired TRS cable or the mixer is faulty or not set to output signal. Simple step by step debugging should solve this problem, but again I would not involve the mixer without a really good need to use it.

Darryl