Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-04-2002, 11:17 AM

Default REMOVING or lowering excessivly loud room noise

More questions for you guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If completely redoing ADR is not an option, but there is excessively loud room noise on the audio track, can I invert the phase of the audio track and align it with the original to cancel out the room noise. I heard something about this.

But if this is an option, won't the voices (which are on the same track as the room noise) also be cancelled?

Can I loop a part of the track with just room noise, invert the phase and play it along with the original? Any suggestions would be wonderful.

What do you think Boom Chic?

Also, what is the frequency range of the human voice?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2002, 01:52 PM

Default Re: REMOVING or lowering excessivly loud room noise

Thanks for the advice--I'll check out the products you mentioned.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:56 AM

Hello LATablette:

Actually recording a large block of room tone and playing it out of phase against the original recordings is a sort of crapshoot.

The results will vary. It really is a case by case situation. It has to do with all the variables.

Both room tone and the human voice are complex waveforms encompassing a broad range of frequencies. Different voices have different response characteristics as do different rooms. So, applying a generic fix becomes less predictable.

However, the flipping phase on a rome tone sample has worked well for me on many occasions. It works best when dealing with a specific frequency range problem such as 60 cycle hum, but I have used it to success in even more broadband applications.

Certainly, you will experience some degradation of your original voice component and it becomes a subjective call as to whether or not that is acceptable.

I would agree with the suggestion of using some type of audio restoration software.

Since you have the ability to introduce a perfect sample of the objectionable part of the signal to the restoration device, you should achieve amazingly good results.

The CEDAR DNS1000 is an amazing box. Another good choice would be the WAVES Restoration Bundle for Pro Tools.

Best Regards
Old 11-05-2002, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LATablette:
Thanks for the advice--I'll check out the products you mentioned.
Last week I had occaision to put X-Noise -- a plugin from the Waves Restoration bundle -- through its paces...totally amazing!

The situation was a dialog track recorded with a 416 on a boom...from the deck of a VERY noisey ship which was under way. The engine noise was a real problem -- very loud and very broad band. With x-noise, I was able to very quickly remove ALL of the noise (I had never looked at the plugin until that session). The trade-off -- and there are always trade-offs -- was that when used in its extreme, X-Noise altered the voice quite a bit, with respect to overall presence and sprectal balance; there is however a slider that let me apply as much or as little of the noise reduction processing as was prudent. I ended up somewhere in the middle (maybe a bit toward the processed side), applied a little eq and threw in some pleasant water sounds to mask what was left of the engine noise. The producer was happilly astonished with the improvement.

If you don't have access to X-Noise, send me a breif (small) sound file of the problem material as an email attachment and I will process it and send it back for you to examine.

[email protected]
Pro Tools 9.0
Old 11-05-2002, 08:59 AM

I did actually download the demo last night. It is impressive. The X-hum also works well in tandem with the x-noise. There does seem to be a trade-off, so it will just be a matter of tweaking for optimum balance. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:45 AM

I have used X-Noise on lots of stuff, and I am very happy with the results, but you do have to be careful not to overuse it, and it's very tempting to do just that, but you'll always have some of the noise left, but it really is like magic!

As someone pointed out on another of your topics, the Cedar box can be rented for under $100 a day, and if you don't want to fork over $900 for the Restoration Bundle, just rent the Cedar for the day and do all your clean ups for $70.00
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com