Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2020, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Dual Boot Cheesegrader Mac Pro with PT 10 HD and Ultimate

Hi Mattafact,

A couple of quick things to add to this conversation.

I'm still running my PT10.3.10 HD3 TDM rigs. I have slightly older machines than you (see my sig below) and I have been successfully running my systems with Mavericks OSX10.9.5 for the past few years. Even though it's not officially supported, it works great (I only ever see one tiny 'Apple Key & Tab' app switching weirdness regularly that you may never encounter), and enables me to just about run some of the more current sound libraries in my VEP slave etc. I can offer more details if you need.

I also have a Rosetta 200 hooked to my 192 via AES/EBU, which I use as my main 2 channel analogue input device and stereo monitoring DA. I too have it connected to the optical out of the MacPro, and use this to feed sound from the Mac into PT for listening or printing reference material from Spotify, or YouTube or any internal Mac source. Works great for this. I then just switch it to analogue input to record a Mic or Guitar etc when needed (not working in multitrack tracking these days). I would assume it would work well as an interface for Ultimate without additional hardware.

One thing I should point out though if you're used to the TDM workflow, is that Avid in it's infinite wisdom, decided to abandon discrete voice assignments and the "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" way of working. Which horrified me when I found this out.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448

I LOVE the way I can assign a bunch of tracks to the same voice, and treat them all as one big "stair-step auto-comping" track without them all trying to play sound at the same time. This change is the only major reason I have an HDX system sat in the boxes unused. If you work with assigned voices, you'll also be shocked. Unfortunately playlisting as it's currently implemented, nowhere near cuts it to replace this unique workflow (well what used to be a PT specific uniqueness, that they've just abandoned to be as frustrating as every other DAW out there. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!).

Hope all this helps.

Regards.

Steve Bush