Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Click track and grid edit

How do I go about setting up a click track thats BPM is lined up with the grid?

I want to grid edit drums but when I set up a click through the click plug in , set record, play and the drummer plays along to the click, the audio "hits" of the drums aren't even close to being mapped to the grid.

Win XP 002r

Ross
Old 02-05-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Click track and grid edit

Hi!
Are you saying that you have a live drummer playing, and you are using mics to record him/her, click going via click plugin (and it follows any tempo/time sig changes fine), but when you go back after stopping the recording, the drum hits are not lined up with the grid?

If so, then welcome to the world of DAW's and latency!
Let us know if this is the case, and if not, then where I got it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:56 PM

If the drummer is hearing the click right but the recorded drums are out, highlight all the drums and move them back/forward in time.It's a latency thing but it's all relative,so if the drummer is 'in' then he's 'in'. If you need to know about nudging the whole drum track just post again ...
Old 02-05-2004, 04:00 PM

Yes guys you have it right. I thought that maybe I wasn't setting up something correctly and that the click BPM's and the grid were maybe not "really" lining up. I am using LOW LATENCY MODE checked. doesn't this pretty much take care of my latency????

Ross
Old 02-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yes guys you have it right. I thought that maybe I wasn't setting up something correctly and that the click BPM's and the grid were maybe not "really" lining up. I am using LOW LATENCY MODE checked. doesn't this pretty much take care of my latency????

Ross
nope...sorry. It does reduce the latency (I think mainly by bypassing any insert/sends) but it will not "eliminate" the latency. You will have to nudge it as needed.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 02-06-2004, 04:07 AM

It could even be that the drummer is off... dragging or rushing ( hopefully not both ) the beat. this is natural and acceptable, as even drummers are only human ( although it might not seem that way all the time )

the bottom line is:

does it sound bad, or does it just make editing harder?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I want to grid edit drums but when I set up a click through the click plug in , set record, play and the drummer plays along to the click, the audio "hits" of the drums aren't even close to being mapped to the grid.
What is your grid currently set to. Sounds like you may have the grid set to mins/secs or heaven forbid samples Remember if you are using the click plugin, it is sourcing its timing from either the conductor track (tempo map) or a static tempo set on the transport whilst your grid can be set to work in any of the available time formats.

Double check that your grid is set to Bars/Beats and set to something with course enough resolution to see if things are lining up (I suggest 1/4 notes for starters).

Personally whilst the click plugin is very very handy, I still 9 times out of 10 prefer to use a manually generated click track on an audio track so I can visually confirm what is going on. It also seems to resolve any latency issues (provided you are in low-latency monitoring mode, or a low buffer setting)

Cheers,
Marcus