Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Default AAE error -9173 with Pro Tools 2018.12 on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hey all, I did some searching but have not easily found a solution unless i missed it. The short of it is that since I upgraded to Mac OSX mojave i get cpu 9173 errors. I have not had these since I dumped my macbook and bought a Mac Pro 6 core that I upgraded to 64GB of ram. I could run all day non stop without so much as a burp. I use an apollo 8p quad chained with a Apollo Twin quad and a quad satellite. I keep all software current and this is frustrating that I cant sometime play through an entire project that is basically done without the crash. Its super frustrating. i am curious if anyone else had this and decided its time to start over. Im seriously thinking of wiping my mac and going back to High Sierra version which worked flawlessly for me. Please no snide comments about unsupported OS versions. My PT version is 2018.12. Is it worth troubleshooting looking for plugins that may be at fault? Im running some toontrack stuff that I have used for years (ezmix SD3). It would be a big job to start over but it might well be worth it. Thoughts? Thanks again all. Peter
Old 02-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Should I ditch Mojave OSX because of CPU 9173 errors?

I would probably in your shoes roll back. And use another start up disk with Mojave to tinker around with. Did you make a clone of high Sierra disk?? I'm still on 2018.7 with high Sierra. I don't see any reason to update os or protools at this moment. When we get the better 2019 playback engine I'll update.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Did you make a clone of high Sierra disk?? I'm still on 2018.7 with high Sierra. I don't see any reason to update os or protools at this moment. When we get the better 2019 playback engine I'll update.
Hey in answer to this i did a full time machine backup and could roll back that way and have in the past but I have all my stuff backed up and am thinking a total clean install might be a better option. It will suck more to do but its really not a huge deal save time consuming and I think I would get that fresh system performance. I did this when I first got it and upgraded the 256gb SSD to a 1TB one at the same time I did the memory. It used to boot super fast but now its not that snappy on reboots. Probably just got a lot of clutter in the file system at this point.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:31 PM

if you can, stick with it for some time... Mojave isn't supported yet but a compatibility update must be right around the corner
Old 02-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Disabling Hyperthreading resolved all CPU-error issues on Mojave for me. Might be worth a try.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
Hey in answer to this i did a full time machine backup and could roll back that way and have in the past but I have all my stuff backed up and am thinking a total clean install might be a better option. It will suck more to do but its really not a huge deal save time consuming and I think I would get that fresh system performance. I did this when I first got it and upgraded the 256gb SSD to a 1TB one at the same time I did the memory. It used to boot super fast but now its not that snappy on reboots. Probably just got a lot of clutter in the file system at this point.
Hmm. Yeah. Maybe fresh Install to rule out any weird software things.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Disabling Hyperthreading resolved all CPU-error issues on Mojave for me. Might be worth a try.
I just downloaded cpusetter and did this. Ill follow up if it works better. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
I just downloaded cpusetter and did this. Ill follow up if it works better. Thanks for the tip.

Remember you have to run it before opening Pro Tools on every fresh startup/reboot!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Remember you have to run it before opening Pro Tools on every fresh startup/reboot!
I don't think it is necessary to run it every time after reboot; in the Cpusetter,
unlock it and make changes that you prefer (no hypertred), and lock it back.
open preferences and select "Launch at Login", here after CPUsetter wil remember your settings, open it after start up and basically just let you see what was your last saved setting, which would be Hyper Threading off. Then you can close the program and continu booting Pro Tools.

This is the way I have it and it lets me sometimes try different setting to see if things are working better and after having a lot of 9173 errors I turn off Izotope Insight and difference was huge. Then I try another metering plug in and errors appeared again. No more plug in meters for me. Right now hyper trading on/off makes small difference and I can work in 128 buffer. I have Mac Pro 5.1, 2x3.33, 64GB RAM. Mac OS 10.13.6, PT 2019.12, HDX 1
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

Also try turbo boost off.