Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Default New Install of PT 7.4.2 - MP3 Option Issue

Hi all,

I just upgraded to a "new" Mac (PPC G5 Dual 2.5) and installed PT TDM 7.4.2 on OS 10.5.8. I'm working through the usual new system quirks and issues, and have solved them all so far. This latest one has stumped me, even after going through numerous DUC posts and the very confusing MP3 kb article here:
http://archive.digidesign.com/download/mp3/  

When I go to bounce to disk to an MP3 file, I get the following error:
The MP3 option cannot be enabled because:: Module initialization failed for MP3 bundle.. The MP3 demo period may have expired

I purchased the MP3 option back in 2009 when I was still running PT TDM 6.2.3. It's the code that starts with "CUBS..." I kind of remember going through this issue two years ago, but it was easily fixed then. This time, not so much.

I went to Macintosh HD: Applications -> Digidesign -> Pro Tools -> Codecs, and trashed the MP3 folder. I then went through the install package (that I downloaded when I purchased PT 7 from the Avid Store) and chose just the "MP3 Option" in the list. It puts that same folder and "MP3.bundle" file back, but I still get that error message. I can't get it to prompt me to enter in the authorization code, which I have.

How do I get the authorization option to appear, so that I can enter in that authorization code?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Re: New Install of PT 7.4.2 - MP3 Option Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMitchell View Post
Hi all,

I just upgraded to a "new" Mac (PPC G5 Dual 2.5) and installed PT TDM 7.4.2 on OS 10.5.8. I'm working through the usual new system quirks and issues, and have solved them all so far. This latest one has stumped me, even after going through numerous DUC posts and the very confusing MP3 kb article here:
http://archive.digidesign.com/download/mp3/  

When I go to bounce to disk to an MP3 file, I get the following error:
The MP3 option cannot be enabled because:: Module initialization failed for MP3 bundle.. The MP3 demo period may have expired

I purchased the MP3 option back in 2009 when I was still running PT TDM 6.2.3. It's the code that starts with "CUBS..." I kind of remember going through this issue two years ago, but it was easily fixed then. This time, not so much.

I went to Macintosh HD: Applications -> Digidesign -> Pro Tools -> Codecs, and trashed the MP3 folder. I then went through the install package (that I downloaded when I purchased PT 7 from the Avid Store) and chose just the "MP3 Option" in the list. It puts that same folder and "MP3.bundle" file back, but I still get that error message. I can't get it to prompt me to enter in the authorization code, which I have.

How do I get the authorization option to appear, so that I can enter in that authorization code?
Hi,

Next time you re-boot and try to bounce an MP3 does it not ask for the code again?

I would look in your avid account and see if you can upgrade the mp3 to ilok? i think thats what you do, or ask DS if they can do it for you.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 PM

I made a request for support from avid using one of my ten requests. The problem with requesting the ilok version is that I purchased PT on a different account from the mp3 option (long story). That should be interesting.

It never asked me for the code at all, as I've only had PT installed for a day on this system. I didn't try the reboot. I'll you know.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 AM

No dice on the reboot. Did the same thing. Last hope I think is to get it x-fered to i-lok. This is very annoying. Nobody else does MP3 like this.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Anybody? This is still an issue. Haven't heard back from Avid Support yet. Phone system is down, so I'm waiting on my on-line case submission. I see dozens of posts on this, so I know I'm not the only one.

Or, does anybody know of a QUICK way to do a bounce to disk, so that I can send, via e-mail, a rough mix to the musicians? I just want to e-mail them a rough mix of the track, so they can listen on their computers at home and learn it before coming into my studio unprepared.

I tried bouncing to stereo interleaved, 16 resolution, 44100 sample rate, WAV file, but didn't seem to work anywhere. Maybe I brain farted on a setting?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM

You can drag it into iTunes and that'll convert it.
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Have you tried the troubleshooting suggestions here?
MP3 Option and MP3 Export Legacy Downloads for Mac
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
Have you tried the troubleshooting suggestions here?
MP3 Option and MP3 Export Legacy Downloads for Mac
Yes.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Why not just convert it to mp3 with itunes, as ProTooler said, or use a conversion utility like Max. It takes literally 10 seconds to convert.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Problem solved. Bottom line, I goofed up immediately after the install and didn't realize it. I wanted to create an Alias for Pro Tools on my desktop, and at the time, I inadvertantly grabbed the whole program icon and dragged it to the desktop. I noticed my mistake immediately, and dragged it back to where I THOUGHT the program was located, and I missed by one folder level. Sooooo, when I went to authorize the MP3 option, it didn't know where to look for the mp3.bundle file. It's a shame I had to uninstall/reinstall to figure that out that I was brain dead on Saturday.
Thanks to Avid Support for saving me from myself.