How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
Protools Ultimate subscription needs to come down. $199 seems reasonable for what they are delivering and how fast. Still bugs that have been around for years. 90xx errors never fixed since 11 was introduced. Plus everything else mentioned. I see more and more clients using other DAWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes...and the penalty for not renewing is ridiculous. Not at all inviting for long time customers to get back in. That is the biggest difference with Avid's model compared to any other software subscriptions I have, or from Waves WUP for that matter. Honestly, I don't see how any body can possibly defend this companies practices towards it's customers...although some on this forum try their best. I hope this new update fix's some of the underling issues that cause the 90XX errors, being that it seems they are having to dig deep in to the code.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah. Here too. But it used to be you would get a nice cleaned out tidy Protools session with everything in there labeled, tempo map ruler, markers. Now you get a folder with a bunch of poorly labeled files. And thats It! And yes, I know I can get a blank midi file to pull things from and make a session but the point is, Its not a standard anymore as much as its claimed to be. Its added work even when handing clients detailed delivery requirements. Oh and don't get me started on calling everything "STEMS" lol!!!
Yes. The stems thing. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Everyone's experience is different of course. I record and mix sessions which are generally played 'in the round' with maybe 15-20 tracks in record. Sometimes 48k, more often 96k, rarely any MIDI going on. The HDX system in the studio (2018.12, Mac Pro 5,1) is reasonably stable and issues are usually fixed by moving to a larger buffer size than I'd prefer. I'd like it to be more stable (it's always embarrassing to have to stop the band in mid-flow because PT dropped out of record) but nobody's ever beaten me up about it and it doesn't happen that often. I've had to fall back to an auto-saved session about once in the past year or so.

Likewise, my mixing system at home gives me little trouble (since I stopped trying to run it on a Macbook). I like subscriptions and I pay for stuff monthly. It's good for cashflow, it's off balance sheet and I can just stop paying if I want to.

When a new client asks me what I'm going to be using for their project and I say Pro Tools, they're happy and nobody has ever wanted me to use anything else.

Obviously I'd like it to be cheaper but the bottom line is - and I suspect this is true for many people on this forum - I make a lot more money out of Pro Tools than it costs me to have it. And that's the point, isn't it?
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Protools Ultimate subscription needs to come down. $199 seems reasonable for what they are delivering and how fast. Still bugs that have been around for years. 90xx errors never fixed since 11 was introduced. Plus everything else mentioned. I see more and more clients using other DAWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed! Better yet, I'd rather that Avid goes back to the old model in which they charge per major updates.
If one does not feel it's a great update, then there is a choice to buy or pass it up.
Today, each user is charged whether they like or dislike what Avid releases, not to mention that customers are held hostage by the steep penalties for not renewing annually.
Btw, Digidesign should buy their baby back. Ha!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 04-05-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Obviously I'd like it to be cheaper but the bottom line is - and I suspect this is true for many people on this forum - I make a lot more money out of Pro Tools than it costs me to have it. And that's the point, isn't it?
Nailed it. I work in Post, so at the day job, I use Pro Tools. With the kind of work we're doing, my HDX system there works just fine. I have a vanilla licence at home, so that I can work from there when hostile Minnesota weather rears its head. No need for HDX, because everything is mixed at the office.

When I work on music, I use Reaper, S1, Cubase or Live. Why? Because they all handle VI's much better. As much as I want a "one size/program fits all" approach, PT (for me) can't handle the VI load. YMMV, of course.

I don't bother complaining about what Avid does, or does not do, because it works for the thing I need it to work for - mixing tv shows. I have (and use) alternatives for the other work I do.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 04-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
Indeed! Better yet, I'd rather that Avid goes back to the old model in which they charge per major updates.
If one does not feel it's a great update, then there is a choice to buy or pass it up.
Today, each user is charged whether they like or dislike what Avid releases, not to mention that customers are held hostage by the steep penalties for not renewing annually.
Btw, Digidesign should buy their baby back. Ha!
Yes! I used to get excited and had no problem paying for a new release. They also were pretty good squashing bugs. It seemed to all go down hill after 10.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Nailed it. I work in Post, so at the day job, I use Pro Tools. With the kind of work we're doing, my HDX system there works just fine. I have a vanilla licence at home, so that I can work from there when hostile Minnesota weather rears its head. No need for HDX, because everything is mixed at the office.

When I work on music, I use Reaper, S1, Cubase or Live. Why? Because they all handle VI's much better. As much as I want a "one size/program fits all" approach, PT (for me) can't handle the VI load. YMMV, of course.

I don't bother complaining about what Avid does, or does not do, because it works for the thing I need it to work for - mixing tv shows. I have (and use) alternatives for the other work I do.

tg
Is the other daws that much better? I found using vepro and 2018.7 it's been really solid for VI composing. Etc.. doing pop music and I ever scored a few commercials this past year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Are you saying that their crack team of former com-bloc eastern-European software "developers/spyware hackers" aren't up to the task because they only get paid in potatoes and vodka rations?
A+
Old 04-06-2019, 06:40 AM

There's definitively something wrong when you spend the whole morning trying to freeze a VI and it just doesn't work. There's only been a few new features in 2 years and some of then don't even work well.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
There's definitively something wrong when you spend the whole morning trying to freeze a VI and it just doesn't work. There's only been a few new features in 2 years and some of then don't even work well.
I haven't seen this, but then again I've so used to the workaround before freeze (print track) that I don't really care. Not my circus, not my monkey, you know...