Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 AM

Default Need Avid's tech support. But where?

I dialed the tech support number they have on their website, but it seems solely for hardware. Is there any other number for SOFTWARE tech support?

I tried asking for help on these forums, but it seems no one has an answer for my issue.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Need Avid's tech support. But where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGarret View Post
I dialed the tech support number they have on their website, but it seems solely for hardware. Is there any other number for SOFTWARE tech support?

I tried asking for help on these forums, but it seems no one has an answer for my issue.
My understanding is that you can buy (yes buy) support by way of purchasing and Avid Support Code (ASC). They cost a about 40 bucks, are valid for 60 days and are good for one incident only. Good support?..Hardly.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM

I don not see why being asked to pay for support in itself is an issue should somebody be having a problem. The OP may also one free ASC depending on what was purchased.

I think the problem referred to is playback slows down when soloing a track. I think that is weird enough to contact Avid support - and be happy if they manage to help fix it. Pretty weird. Gee does it do this with a trivial session say with two tracks and no inserts/plugins etc.

Support should handle everthing. Just call the main support number on Avid's site. Use your free call or buy an ASC and talk to them.

Darryl
Old 07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

thanks for the reply. Yeah im tracking down how to get me one of them codes right now. If I get a free one that's awesome. But 40 bucks would be worth it to solve this problem.

And yes you are right about which problem I am referring to. Further investigating revealed that if I removed all the plugins (7-band EQ, etc.) the problem does not occur. So that could mean that my computer doesn't have enough power to handle all that weight with plugins. I find that odd because I have a E8400 Core 2 duo processor and 6 gigs of ram. That's well over the recommended to run pro tools 9 i think. The other possibility is my hard drive. It is kind of old. but it's 7200 RPM. If I need to replace it, I'm gonna get a solid state drive.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM

I don't think of the core 2 as particularity fast (I have it in my MBP), it all depends on what you are doing. But I'm almost suspecting something more weird. Maybe try creating a simple session and deliberately play with plugins to see if you can reproduce this. Maybe we should take this back to the original problem report thread but it would be interesting to know the simplest situation you experience this in and the RTAS CPU settings. Hopefully you have CPU set to 1. OTOH I'd probably just contact Avid support.

I've certainly not seen weirdness like this with, not with the 7 band eq or anything else, but I'm on Mac mostly FWIW and use pretty simple sessions.

Darryl