Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2014, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Bounce to Disk didn't always work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
But I bounce to the same Disk as I save all my AudioFiles.

That could well be your problem right there...try bouncing to a different drive.

Doing a lot of heavy reading and writing simultaneously from the same disk could quite easily cause any number of problems...
I will try that the next Time I have to bounce something.

Strange thing is that I don't get any specific Description of the Problem. The Error is only occuring after the Track is played completely thru. The Error only show up when Pro Tools should encode to MP3.

I also can't remember that this ever happened in the early 10.3.x Versions.

@dr_daw:
At home I have a Intel i5 and only one AudioInterface (Focusrite Saffire 6 USB). It's Windows 7 Home Premium and I use Pro Tools 10.3.8

The other Computer I share with my Cousin is now a Win8 PC hooked up with a Behringer X32. I only record there and never Bounce on that Computer. It has Pro Tools11 and Pro Tools 10 installed. I only use 10 cause that's what I use. On that System I only had 1 or 2 Crashes mostly right at the Beginning when I opened a Session from my Computer at Home.

Heavy Greetz
Old 12-23-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
But I bounce to the same Disk as I save all my AudioFiles.

That could well be your problem right there...try bouncing to a different drive.

Doing a lot of heavy reading and writing simultaneously from the same disk could quite easily cause any number of problems...

I think Bill nailed it, I couldn't quite understand what you were saying there. If you are bouncing to you system disk you ARE more likely going to have trouble.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-23-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
I think Bill nailed it, I couldn't quite understand what you were saying there. If you are bouncing to you system disk you ARE more likely going to have trouble.
I never bounce to any System Disk. Including my System Drive I have 4 Harddrives. But I have one particularly for my Recording Stuff.

I did a lot of that Renedering/Bouncing with Cubase 5 as I started out with that Recording and Mixing Stuff. Never had problems.

Today I may need to do some Bouncing and I will try to Bounce to a different Harddisk and see what happens.

Heavy Greetz
Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Actually, I related the problem to bouncing to your "session" (audio) disk.

Bouncing to a "dedicated" fast drive, not used for anything else, is the optimal solution.

But if you are running the "standard" three-disk configuration (OS, Sessions, Samples), bouncing to the OS disk might actually the best option, especially if your are using a lot of samples/VIs.

When setting up your bounce, you want to keep the target off any other drive involved in the bounce. And, surprisingly, this leaves only the OS drive.

Disk drives are incredibly cheap...if you're recording for money, buy something like a 3 TB WD Black and put it on a fast interface. Use it for bounce and backup...you won't be doing both of those operations at the same time.

And Merry Christmas to all...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-23-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Actually, I related the problem to bouncing to your "session" (audio) disk.

Bouncing to a "dedicated" fast drive, not used for anything else, is the optimal solution.

But if you are running the "standard" three-disk configuration (OS, Sessions, Samples), bouncing to the OS disk might actually the best option, especially if your are using a lot of samples/VIs.

When setting up your bounce, you want to keep the target off any other drive involved in the bounce. And, surprisingly, this leaves only the OS drive.

Disk drives are incredibly cheap...if you're recording for money, buy something like a 3 TB WD Black and put it on a fast interface. Use it for bounce and backup...you won't be doing both of those operations at the same time.

And Merry Christmas to all...
I'm glad I don't record for money. I think that would kill my Fun for this stuff.

When I would bounce everyday a lot of Stuff and have to keep a lot of the Project's that I would definetly go out an by some more Harddrives.
Had also my own WD Blue for the Stuff I recorded on the Computer from my Cousin. But now there's a new PC with 2 SSD's. So I'm not in a need for more Harddrives.

My Samples are lying on the same Drive as my Recordings. But I mostly create a Slate Trigger File from the Samples which I put on the System Drive.
But I am not heavy Sample User. And the only VI I use a lot is Superior Drummer. But for Mixing I Bounce all the Files.

Heavy Greetz
Old 12-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Just as an update.

I did some of my Bounces to a Drive that is not used thru the System and which is not involed in any Part with Pro Tools.

Some worked without a Problem. But today I also had the same Problem again. Right after the Song played thru I got an Error that there was a Program Error. I think Pro Tools just wanted to start converting cause I always use Convert after Bounce.
After it failed I did another attempt with the same Settings and I even surfed the Internet and checked my Mails. And it worked.

But I still don't have a clue where the Problem could be.

Heavy Greetz