How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Vocals like these??

Hi Guys

I had a group of guys come to record last night and they are after a vocal sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hCgSmajqU They showed me the above video

1st at 0.17 what effect is that to get the vocals so wide??

2nd at 0.24 when the harmonies come in they sound very robotic as though melodyne has done them. Do you think this is how it was done. In the mix of this song they sound quite good not robotic at all

Thanks guys

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Vocals like these??

Hi

It is a delay (slapback) short setting and just harmonies from the guys, They have laid down a sub voice like an octave under, no plugins for that as it is just asking the guys to sing,mnot rely on plugins that screws up the vocals more than needed. So

1. A short slapback delay and some vocal addons like another take or two with one of the other members mixed just under the lead so it sounds like a choir comes in very subtle
2. Harmony sung an octave under

No magic with this.

Make them work a bit as thats what others do

Christopher

I know the guys and the producer of this and they have hormony stuff all over and some pitch moves in the chorus but melodyne I think no. I can ask but doubt it. They are great vocalists but boy does that sound crappy with a bathroom reverb and those half assed takes, like they are in a hurry and don't care that it is so so.. I would never have let that slide. No way!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanks Chris

I thought number 1 was the famous Eventide effect but maybe not :)

2 ill get the guys to sing that lower part :)

I'm learning all the time its like an addiction the producing game :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM

I mean sure they use some effects from different gear but mainly they just sing, it can be quite cool when vocals are somewhat different sounding and like chorous effects cancel eachother out a bit and then you get melodyne sounding stuff anyway, and the H3000 plugin have a few pitchshift presets we use but only for double effects, not pitch vocals as it never sounds natural and clean. The more takes panned out left and right the phatter the sound and throw in a couple of harmony takes of each run, one octave over and under and a few inbetween and you will get awesome sounding vocals. Always better to have less plugin processed stuff to work with at a later stage when you can adjust bits here and there without compromizing everything,

Best Of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I mean sure they use some effects from different gear but mainly they just sing, it can be quite cool when vocals are somewhat different sounding and like chorous effects cancel eachother out a bit and then you get melodyne sounding stuff anyway
I have recorded some great stuff with vocalists that I don't think could be replicated with plug-ins. Sometimes the singer just knows how they want it to sound, and can just riff with it on an overdub or 5.

I mean, yeah we have melodyne, harmony engine, choruses, pitch shifting, and a whole bunch of other neat stuff in the toolbox. I'm still amazed at the things that can be done with a few clicks of the mouse and a few knob turns. But really, the nicest (and usually easiest) way to create interesting, beautiful vocals is... To sing them that way.