Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Use of busses/plugins

I like to use subgrouping when I'm layering up a sound. Say I have a synth pad part and to get what I want I have 3 or 4 individual synth pads all playing the same part from 3 or 4 different VI's or even the same VI 4 times or whatever, I will sub those to an aux for mixing because I treat them as one massive sound so want to process that way. Of course I can also tweak the individual components of each of the sounds in the layer. To me that's no different than tweaking an oscillator in a multi oscillator synth.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Fact is that here on my system I have experienced multiple times a very very slight but noticeable difference in sound quality between having most of my tracks bussed (Drums Bus, Guitars Bus, Percussion Bus, Keys Bus) and having it sent straight directly to 1-2 out.
Exactly what I was talking about, and which VCA's are great! Nowadays, I won't buss anything if I really must not to. Even drum tracks sound better with VCA's and the only reason I buss the kit (99% of the time) is that I use "some processing" that really needs to be done on a drum kit buss.

Everything else goes straight to the 2-track (or 5.1-track).
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
same part from 3 or 4 different VI's
That is really the only logical reason to use aux groups, sound-wise....
Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM

If you don't bus anything out then how do you know if the master fader is clipping since it's pre fader? Also the "In The Box" Series on YouTube shows buses everywhere.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11

Last edited by bryced87; 02-05-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 AM

Does anyone know??

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
If you don't bus anything out then how do you know if the master fader is clipping since it's pre fader? Also the "In The Box" Series on YouTube shows buses everywhere.
Master fader inserts are post-fader. You will always know if your output is clipping, if you have that master fader visible.

Test it yourself. (caution, have your monitoring volume at lowest level and headphones unplugged!)

Create a track with signal generator at -20dB. Duplicate it to 50 tracks or so, then click the ALL group to raise the volume of all tracks at once. You should hear severe distortion. Now bring in the master fader and it clearly shows the clipping. Then lower the faders little by little until the distortion goes away. And at the same time, master fader drops from the red.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 AM

It's post fader? Then I apologize as I read it wasn't

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Use of busses/plugins

Personally I use aux busses all the time. The only thing I normally don't send to a buss is the lead vocals and bass guitar. I usually have 3 busses (aside from reverb/delay busses), drums, instruments, background vocals. Sometimes I'll add the bass to the instruments, but very rarely.

My reasoning is this. I get each track to sound like it should in the mix (not necessarily soloed, but it's place with everything else as much as possible) using EQ/compression/whatever else it takes. Then I can go though and make subtle tweaks in the busses to give every group a little more space/separation. For example compress the BGV's a little more to keep them from over riding the lead vocals. Sometimes EQ some low mids out and add some highs to give them some air.

I also send the buss mix of drums and BGV's to my reverb's instead of individual tracks. This IMO gives a better feeling of the drums being in the same room. Especially since I tend to use a compressor that I can do parallel compression with.

Also if the overall mix is too bright/dull I find it better to fix that in whichever group is lacking rather than just boosting/cutting the highs of everything.

Anyways. Just some thoughts on why you can use busses if you like.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 AM

does adding busses really degrade the quality? Where is the information that says this?

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Default Use of busses/plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
does adding busses really degrade the quality?
No, it does not. Using sub mixes requires a different workflow. It is a valid viewpoint to believe that routing directly to the master mix makes for a better sound. If the person mixing believes it is better, it is better and they will mix better.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control