Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:32 PM

Default Dedicated Servers

Hi-

I used to have a dedicated server with iPowerweb.com, but they've outsourced their dedicated servers to IHSYSTEM.com, and they are a complete disaster.

I've already paid my yearly fee, but tech support is horrible, and that's only part of the problem.

Any recommendations? I up and download large audio files (as do we all) and I need something fast and dependable. It needs to be offsite.

Thanks.

Craig
Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Dedicated Servers

I am interested in this too. I have been using Apple's iDisk, but their support for the Homepage feature (which is needed if you want multiple passwords for different clients) might be dropped soon due to the mobileme transition/fiasco.

I suppose there is also the option of getting a Digidelivery server, but that needs to be onsite, with its own static IP address.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
I am interested in this too. I have been using Apple's iDisk, but their support for the Homepage feature (which is needed if you want multiple passwords for different clients) might be dropped soon due to the mobileme transition/fiasco.

I suppose there is also the option of getting a Digidelivery server, but that needs to be onsite, with its own static IP address.
I believe you can use a DNS instead of a static IP, so instead of getting something like xx.xxx.xx.xxx you'd get blahblah.dns.com. Just about any major hosting service such as 1and1 (who I use) has an FTP option, however, there's only 1 username and password unless you pay big bucks for more or you get a programmer to create an integrated FTP account into the web server.

For my clients I use a Sever 2003 machine with FTP installed and use a DNS name pointing to it to allow me to transfer big files. Aside from the cost of the server, it's free with no monthly fee's, and is stable and pretty quick.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I am interested in this too. I have been using Apple's iDisk, but their support for the Homepage feature (which is needed if you want multiple passwords for different clients) might be dropped soon due to the mobileme transition/fiasco

I feel your pain. I don't know why they had to mess with a good thing, when it was .mac everything worked fine. Now that they changed it to mobileme it's just a joke, it's almost worse than a lot of free services. Doesn't surprise me though, apple doesn't seem to care about it's professional customers anymore, the consumer market is more lucrative and therefore gets more attention.

Before I had .mac, I used hotmail's "skydrive" which is free, but it was hit or miss. Some days it worked great, some days you simply couldn't access it.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 AM

I use SiteGround for my server space and you can easily password protect folders using cpanel, I paid 83 us dollars at last renewal for a year for a domain with 12 GB which is plenty for uploading and downloading sessions, although mainly I just use it for posting mixes.
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Avid

Quote:
Just about any major hosting service such as 1and1 (who I use) has an FTP option, however, there's only 1 username and password unless you pay big bucks for more or you get a programmer to create an integrated FTP account into the web server.
I wanted to chime in here, because I use 1and1 for a lot of FTP'ing and you can definitely have multiple FTP accounts with different username/passwords and you don't have to get the 'big bucks' account.

I have the Business account ($9.95/mo) and it gives you 25 FTP accounts and 2500GB of data transfer.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM

Check out Hostmonster.com

Tons of storage, tons of bandwith, and not too expensive, either.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolagonda View Post
I use SiteGround for my server space and you can easily password protect folders using cpanel, I paid 83 us dollars at last renewal for a year for a domain with 12 GB which is plenty for uploading and downloading sessions, although mainly I just use it for posting mixes.
Forgot to say, I've got an unlimited number of passworded FTP accounts with that!
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.