How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Default HOW IMPORTANT ARE UPDATES I AM REALLY REALLY CONFUSED

Please respond after reading

This is my first time with apple Imac and Pro Tools, would i be right in thinking that if i only use my Imac with an external Carrilon 200 gigabite hard drive that updates are just something you might want to add on or are they a vital part of the computer. I mean if i am content working with what i have got as i write like folks songs country etc i dont need all the latest plugin add ons etc ...or do i thats my point if i dont update am i likely to fall behind with technology and also does my computer need to have some of these updates as i never go on the internet with this Imac i have a dell to do that and use the ilok to download the keys for the plugins etc. Is there a page that talks about the Pros and the cons of updating all the time, if you feel like me please let me know as i feel that all these updates and newer versions actually keep me away from studying what matters and writing music. As you can see from this email. Thanks for taking the time to read my email and caring enough to help me about this persistant worry at the back of my mind that some fatal error will happen because i didnt download the latest update what ever it might be, All i want to do is a write a song hh[list][list] CONFUSED mmmmm

Regards Patrick
Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Re: HOW IMPORTANT ARE UPDATES I AM REALLY REALLY CONFUSED

Well, it's pretty important to have compatible plugins in your plugins folder at all times. However, if you don't experience any issues, then leave your system as is. There's usually a "Read me" text file or some kind of other explanation as to what each update is about. Read this before downloading and installing anything. Not every update is worth installing.

Rule of thumb - if it works, don't change it.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks for helping me on this issue, i dont know if you are like me i get worried i am missing out somehow. When infact i could be composing and learning all the thousands of commands in all the fantastic plugins and FXs etc

Cheers again
Old 05-08-2008, 02:01 PM

There are some, myself included, who just feel better having the latest update, whatever it is.

But being more objective, It's always worth it to check for updates to OS, software, plugins, drivers, etc. That doesn't mesn you have to use them, but there is alwaays a changelog somewhere that describes what's been fixed, enhanced or added with a particular update. From those you can make a determinatin whether to do it.

PT cs updates are a good example. One, for example, may address a minor bug with a feature that I never use. So in that case, the update isn't critical - but I may install it anyway, because just my luck, I'll eventually use that feature, encounter the bug and forget how to deal with it!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
...All i want to do is a write a song
In my opinion, a stable rig is everything, and the bleeding edge is less important. It takes a serious time commitment to REALLY master the use of the tools we already have, rather than spending time getting the latest and greatest to work (AKA beta testing). Beware of the marketing machine, as they are trying to make a sale. Having said that, I keep an eye out for new features, and when something comes out that I really want (like 24 bit audio, total ITB mix recall, better computers, high precision plugs, Rewire, great VI's, etc.) then I upgrade. Many great albums have, somehow, been made without the benefit of track colors, elastic audio, and The Virtual Wobulator update version 1.0079cs27!!! Great songs, great artists, great engineering (plus great sounding and stable gear) are essentials. Just my 2 cents.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 AM

I really appreciate you taking the time out to react to my message and give me your input i will take on board what you said

Thanks Patrick
Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 AM

I really appreciate you taking the time out to react to my message and give me your input i will take on board what you said

Thanks Patrick