Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Problem with stereo guitar part?

I used beat detective to time up the drums and i didn't have time to do it before other parts of the song were recorded.

I used beat detective to put hit points on all the beats and bars of the drums and when i time aligned the song all the other parts moved in sequence with the drums, which is why it shouldn't have been a problem
Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamPT8 View Post
I used beat detective to time up the drums and i didn't have time to do it before other parts of the song were recorded.

I used beat detective to put hit points on all the beats and bars of the drums and when i time aligned the song all the other parts moved in sequence with the drums, which is why it shouldn't have been a problem
What makes you so sure that two mono, un-grouped (?) tick-based audio tracks with EA (polyphonic?) will stay sample-accurately phase-locked when you generate a variable tempo map?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM

I'm not sure, otherwise I wouldn't be having these problems.

But by making everything tick based, adding EA, and then changing the tempo, everything moves at EXACTLY the same point and by the same amount, so effectively every track is grouped together.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure, otherwise I wouldn't be having these problems.

But by making everything tick based, adding EA, and then changing the tempo, everything moves at EXACTLY the same point and by the same amount, so effectively every track is grouped together.
The adding EA part is the most interesting and crucial thing in that scenario. If the warp markers aren't sample-accurately in the same spot on the guitar tracks, they will NOT move by the same amount.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM

OK I can see what you're getting at now...

Let me try and explain a little better what I did, I'll simplify it.

On the live recorded drums I used beat detective to detect where the beats should be using the kick and snare (wasn't recorded to a click). I then put all the audio tracks into EA mode and tick timebase mode to lock it to the transport bar.

Then I deleted all of the beat markers that were created using BD. This aligned everything to the tempo of 95bpm, if I change the tempo then the song 'stretches' and 'contracts', but still all perfectly in time.

As of my understanding, I thought that the EA shouldn't be using warp markers on the guitar track because effectively I created them using BD, and therefore the same point on every track is aligned to the BD markers I made, so when the tempo is changed, each track moves at exactly the same point because every single part of the track is locked to the transport, not just where the warp markers are?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Yeah, I get it, but if there are no warp markers there's nothing elastic about the region at all. The markers are what makes the waveforms inside an audio region move according to tempo changes. Without them, the regions just move around, but the length, and therefore the tempo, will be absolute.

Hmm...maybe I don't get it after all.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Sometimes analysis markers can cause EA weirdness even when they haven't been promoted to warp markers. It helps to dial down the analysis sensitivity so there aren't any analysis markers.

I'm not sure how exactly you're doing this when you say you're deleting the beat markers. I would use BD to generate Bar|Beat markers and then quantize the grid with everything in tick mode.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Sometimes analysis markers can cause EA weirdness even when they haven't been promoted to warp markers. It helps to dial down the analysis sensitivity so there aren't any analysis markers.

I'm not sure how exactly you're doing this when you say you're deleting the beat markers. I would use BD to generate Bar|Beat markers and then quantize the grid with everything in tick mode.
That's what I'm doing, but by deleting them it quantises them
Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm doing, but by deleting them it quantises them
What gets quantized when you delete it?