Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Win 7/64 bit and 8.0.4 frustration...In need of help

Thanks dudes, I'm just maxed out with trouble shooting Pro Tools. I just installed Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 Producer, and it's working like a charm without an external hard drive. I'm pissed that there is no warning from Avid on their product boxes that their software takes so much painstaking effort to tweak, and may not yield usable results. I tried to return the mbox, but of course, I could not. I appreciate all of your advice, but I'm packing up and leaving Pro Tools behind.

~Peace~
Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade of many View Post
I'm pissed that there is no warning from Avid on their product boxes that their software takes so much painstaking effort to tweak, and may not yield usable results.
Yeah... that'll happen.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
"There is really no reason why you cannot record/mix on the same drive as the OS."

TOTALLY WRONG and real bad advice. It's a matter of physics...the OS drive has enough to do just running Windows AND the program without also asking ONE HD drive needle to ALSO read and write multiple tracks of audio AND run RTAS plugins...even an old program like SAW PRO or (at the risk of REALLY dating myself) EdDitor Plus required a dedicated audio drive just to do two tracks and no effects. I mean c'mon, we're talking an extra 75 bucks to set this up CORRECTLY and get something done. There is a very good and well-thought-out reason for every recommendation with system setup. And no, it is NOT Pro-Tools specific. Laptops are indeed trickier to make this work on, btw. This is why we're recommending e-sata.
Oh, and a MAC will also require a dedicated hard drive.
Sorry dude. I know of WAY TOO MANY people that are able to do this with other software. Actually, I was able to pull of playing back projects on the c: drive with ProTools.

Once the 16mb cache, 7200rpm, and HUGE MB throughput can available many years ago, recording on the OS was a reality. I literally know of guys running projects with over 32 tracks of 24/44.1 audio that do this all day long with no issues.

Again, there is NO reason why it shouldn't be able to happen with ProTools too. Well, aside from the VERY poor device drivers and software not written very well....
Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Sup FordVan, what other programs, pro tools aside, have you heard are decent?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Sup FordVan, what other programs, pro tools aside, have you heard are decent?
Three come to mind....

Reaper, Reaper, and Reaper.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordVan View Post
Sorry dude. I know of WAY TOO MANY people that are able to do this with other software. Actually, I was able to pull of playing back projects on the c: drive with ProTools.

Once the 16mb cache, 7200rpm, and HUGE MB throughput can available many years ago, recording on the OS was a reality. I literally know of guys running projects with over 32 tracks of 24/44.1 audio that do this all day long with no issues.

Again, there is NO reason why it shouldn't be able to happen with ProTools too. Well, aside from the VERY poor device drivers and software not written very well....
Dude, seriously, all you EVER do is come on here and bitch about how protools cant do this, and how other programs can do that. I understand your running protools because you have to, but stop being a prick. I re-iterate what has been said many times before, don't like it, then leave.

OP, try installing the CS2 update, and see if it helps anything.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Ford, thanks dude, I checked out Reaper and installed the trial. I like the simplicity of it, and the fact that it loads all of the plugins from protools and cakewalk as well as supplies its own. I was also able to record without any of the problems I am having with protools using the mbox and reaper...

Nick, thanks for your reply, and yes, I have installed the new Cs2 update, and still have the same problem. I am confused as to why i can use my Mbox as hardware with 2 other programs, but the one it came with, pro tools, has recording issues. I had no idea what I got myself into when I installed Pro Tools...to put it simply, I am a solo artist who doesn't tax the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] out of my computer with hefty sessions. I keep it simple, and I will not be messing around with the complexities and non-compatibilities that pro tools has caused me the past 2 months ever again!

I'm off to record...finally!!!

Love to all those who spent time tryin to help a brother out
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
Dude, seriously, all you EVER do is come on here and bitch about how protools cant do this, and how other programs can do that. I understand your running protools because you have to, but stop being a prick. I re-iterate what has been said many times before, don't like it, then leave.

Nick
I always say, if the description fits.....

Why do people coming from very weak positions always revert to naming calling? They also always revert to the 'ol stand-by "If you don't like it, leave".

I have bought in to PT for now. I have every right to bitch about this dinosaur if I choose to. I have listened to guys go on and on for years about how great this platform is, and how you can't do serious work unless you use it.

So, getting back into audio, I figure "Hey, I will give in and give it a try", only to find out that pretty much all the horror stories ex-PT users conveyed to me are still happening!

I will air out my opinions as I see fit. Since the developers don't seem to be able to get it right with everybody giving them FAR more benefit of the doubt that is deserved, I figure maybe they can be embarrassed into fixing this pile of dung.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post

Nick
Quote:
Ford, thanks dude, I checked out Reaper and installed the trial. I like the simplicity of it, and the fact that it loads all of the plugins from protools and cakewalk as well as supplies its own. I was also able to record without any of the problems I am having with protools using the mbox and reaper...

Nick, thanks for your reply, and yes, I have installed the new Cs2 update, and still have the same problem. I am confused as to why i can use my Mbox as hardware with 2 other programs, but the one it came with, pro tools, has recording issues. I had no idea what I got myself into when I installed Pro Tools...to put it simply, I am a solo artist who doesn't tax the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] out of my computer with hefty sessions. I keep it simple, and I will not be messing around with the complexities and non-compatibilities that pro tools has caused me the past 2 months ever again!

I'm off to record...finally!!!

Love to all those who spent time tryin to help a brother out
And of course, there you have it. A software package in it's infancy downloaded, installed, and working for the guy!

How is it that Justin can make his software working nearly perfectly with PT hardware when PT can't? LOL

PT ought to be embarrassed that this guy comes to their own BBS, get's advice to try another software, and is off and running with it, doing what he thought he should be able to do with his rather expensive purchase of PT!!!

Dude is going to use a trial version that will work beyond the evaluation period with nothing more than a nag screen, and will only need to pay $60 to remove that, and will get at least one major number version upgrade included with the price! It is software that was released at ver.1 with ONE GUY developing it, and did so in about a years time. Selling that software for a few years at $40, but in reality, was probably only averaging about $10 per user because of all the people who just use it for free because they can, they were able to improve it, upgrade it, fix stuff sometimes within HOURS of reported major bugs.

Now, with a staff of 3, they continue to offer a very stable platform that simply works even with some of the most horribly written device drivers around.

Avid ought to think about hiring Justin to re-write PT!

PT should be embarrassed over their problems. They ought to be embarrassed about releasing a fix for a MAJOR KNOW BUG that is MONTHS old that actually didn't fully fix the problem, and of course created another problem, or three....

Sorry man. After what I paid to get on this platform, I feel fairly well entitled to "be a prick". After all the fussing to make my box "ProTools ready", and dealing with the added expense of having to have particular this and that's to run this platform, I feel entitled to air out my opinion on a forum that I think PT developers just might see it all.

I WANT PT to know that I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY after all the hype I have endured about this product over the years when I have had to jump thru SO many freakin' hoops just to get software that can't even place the audio correctly, and keep it in place when I add a plugin to a track!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM

I have the same HW setup (same computer, mbox 2, recording to system HD) and exact same problem as the OP.

After the OP voiced his displeasure with Pro Tools, decided to switch programs entirely, and the other guy started in w/ the "Pro Tools sucks" bag, the thread just died. I would like to pick up where the OP left off and try to get some useful feedback on how to get PT 8.0.4 LE running on my Toshiba.

I can get one of those system reports done, but I'm 99% certain that it will be exactly like this other fellow's report.

So... From what I can tell, the only option left to explore here is to just buy an external HD. Right? I don't want to go down that road unless I'm relatively certain that it will fix the problem, though. Just looking for a bit of reassurance here before I potentially waste more money.