Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0.4cs2 Update FINALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
When a company that claims to be the best option out there can't get their software to work correctly after almost 2 years, well, there is just no excuse for that.
It works here. Yes the 64bit drivers are screwy, but they weren't the intention of V8 release anyway.

I'm not sure what feature is your problem, but there is always a solution and sometimes that is another DAW.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
I'm not sure what feature is your problem, but there is always a solution and sometimes that is another DAW.

Mike.
That is a great option IF you can get your money back for the flawed DAW you purchase because of the advertising claims.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 AM

That is a great option IF you can get your money back for the flawed DAW you purchase because of the advertising claims.

Experience has shown this to be an argument presented by those who do their research AFTER point of purchase instead of BEFORE.If it's that flawed, there wouldn't be so many of us making a living with it....
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
This definitely makes sense, and if PT8 had come out a month or two ago, I could agree about it being a valid argument, but the fact that PT8 has been out for so long changes things. When a company that claims to be the best option out there can't get their software to work correctly after almost 2 years, well, there is just no excuse for that.
To be fair, these timeline issues have not been a problem for anywhere that long. They arose with the development of the 64 bit driver in the later days of 8.03 and in 8.04.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM

no problems here so far. this version has been running very smooth for the last few days of using 8.04 cs2
Thank You for no more crappy distorted playback

Upgraded to Mbox 3 PRO with Pro Tools 8.0.4cs2.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
To be fair, these timeline issues have not been a problem for anywhere that long. They arose with the development of the 64 bit driver in the later days of 8.03 and in 8.04.
Yes, but (and please correct me if I am wrong), before that there were issues with other things, such as white noise bursts. I guess I can't say definitively that there has never been a PT8 version that worked correctly, but over the last 1-2 years I kept waiting for someone to say that it was finally working exactly right, but all I kept hearing were the problems that weren't fixed yet. Instead of hearing people say "the newest version has fixed all of the outstanding issues", I'd hear "go back to version 8.0._, that is the most stable version so far".
Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
It works here. Yes the 64bit drivers are screwy, but they weren't the intention of V8 release anyway.

Mike.
I don't have an issue with any of the features, or the lacking features. I have used and loved (let me say that again a little louder), LOVED ProTools for years and years. If not for a few features that ProTools lacks, I would want to use it for everything (unfortunately, the lack of VST plugins makes film scoring rather difficult, which is one of the reasons I use Reaper). I have many complaints about ProTools which I don't ever bring up, because I understand that not all software is going to have all features. For a long time I even partially backed up the idea that you needed very specific hardware and had to jump through lots of hoops to get a ProTools LE system to work correctly, because at the time it was very stable once working, and was ahead of the competition. Most of all, several years ago, it seemed like it all worked. Period. When I helped someone setup their ProTools rig, I didn't have to worry about noise bursts, or random sample offsets, or clocks getting reset, or crackling outputs.

If these issues were happening in the first release of PT8, I wouldn't be so concerned, since we would all know that an update would come along to fix it. However, when updates come out months and months later that don't fix problems, and some of the major players on this board who know exactly what they are doing are having their speakers blow, or losing paid session time, than there is a problem.

If the next version of ProTools comes out and just works, than I will be happy. I don't know if I will use it a lot (that depends on features), but I will use it. If they can get a working 8.0.4 driver to work with Win7, I will be happy. I just haven't seen anything since the release of PT8 which shows me that they are ever going to get things working 100% correctly, and to me that is unacceptable.

Heck, right now all I really want is a working ASIO driver for win7. I bought my 003 last year after a long time using my 001, and specifically waited until Win7 was out to see if they were going to release an 004. If I had known it would have taken this long to get a working driver for Win7, I honestly might have gone out and purchased a different audio interface.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Angry Re: Pro Tools 8.0.4cs2 Update FINALLY!

My 003 is freezing consistently. The control surface readout strip freezes and the faders quit responding. Closing the session does not clear the 003, and opening another session doesn't reset the previous session's fader settings or control surface readout strip either! The on screen faders still are movable but the 003 surface stays frozen.

If I power off the 003 it will reset. If I open a previously saved session and close it without saving everything appears to be working normally. If I make a small change (like moving a fader), close and save the session, the 003 retains the session info on the readout strip and fader positions. If I open another session the 003 is does not appear to “read in” the previous sessions saved settings.

This all began with the 8.0.4 upgrade and continues with 8.0.4cs2. WinXP with all the MS patches and service packs applied and current.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscaife View Post
My 003 is freezing consistently. The control surface readout strip freezes and the faders quit responding. Closing the session does not clear the 003, and opening another session doesn't reset the previous session's fader settings or control surface readout strip either! The on screen faders still are movable but the 003 surface stays frozen.

If I power off the 003 it will reset. If I open a previously saved session and close it without saving everything appears to be working normally. If I make a small change (like moving a fader), close and save the session, the 003 retains the session info on the readout strip and fader positions. If I open another session the 003 is does not appear to “read in” the previous sessions saved settings.

This all began with the 8.0.4 upgrade and continues with 8.0.4cs2. WinXP with all the MS patches and service packs applied and current.

Any suggestions?
We don't know anything about your system hardware, what OS you are using or what you have done to troubleshoot this so far. You may want to go over this thread and start a new thread of your own with more information on it. And tell us what PT version were you running when all was well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Is there any information on the deforming/distorting audio bug?*
I't not in the cs2 update, but maybe I missed something else.
I thought there was a topic on this somewhere but I can't find it.

*A bug where, after a while the audio sounds broken/distorted/aliased, and after changing the H/W buffer size (smaller or bigger) it's solved again for a while.