Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Touchscreen monitor with ProTools

I get tendinitis with mouse use, so I am exploring my options with touchscreens for ProTools.

1) If I get a MacBook Pro and a touchscreen monitor, will I be able to use touch to control ProTools fully? (I.e. not just as an extra mixer, but using my hand like a mouse in every window to edit tracks, etc.?)

2) Does the ProTools controller app for iPad only allow me to use it as a mixer, leaving the computer to perform every other function?

3) Will a 2-in1 PC tablet/laptop also control every aspect of ProTools via touch?

4) Would the same answers to the above apply for Sibelius?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Touchscreen monitor with ProTools

1) If I get a MacBook Pro and a touchscreen monitor, will I be able to use touch to control ProTools fully? (I.e. not just as an extra mixer, but using my hand like a mouse in every window to edit tracks, etc.?)

I'm not an expert at these things but the MacOS is not really optimized for touch screen operations. Even if you get a touch screen monitor, the operating system may not provide the full functiuonality that you want or need. Perhaps someone else can chime in with better information on this.

2) Does the ProTools controller app for iPad only allow me to use it as a mixer, leaving the computer to perform every other function?

That is pretty much accurate. The controller app handles knobs, faders, and some switch functions. Most other functions in protools are access through mouse and keyboard shortcuts.

3) Will a 2-in1 PC tablet/laptop also control every aspect of ProTools via touch?

A 2 in 1 PC running Windows 10 may be a better solution for you as the touch screen implementation is more integrated to the operating system to accomplish most functions. I've tried a 2 in 1 with Protools with success, but there is some learning curve. I'm so used to keyboard shortcuts that my mind struggled to not use them.

4) Would the same answers to the above apply for Sibelius?

For the most part, Sibelius will also work well with a 2 in 1 touch screen on Windows and not work well on a MacOS with a 3rd party touch screen monitor. Your best option is to go and try to use a touch screen system to learn what you can and can not do with the operating system and then what it can and can not do with a specific application like Protools and Sibelius.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-24-2019, 07:11 PM

Why not look into the Slate Raven Mti2 touch screens? They are 10 point touch screens, and even without the Raven software they still make it easier to operate Pro Tools than just a mouse and keyboard. Two screens work best in my opinion!
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:04 PM

We have the Dual Raven MTi2’s but without the sofyware its only one point touch so same as the windows one.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————