Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Default Getting bass to standout

Working on my bands album, and I'm having a problem with the bass guitar. It seems to be very boomy at some parts, other parts it's very thin and gets lost in the mix (and the bass player isn't playing high notes when it gets lost). I understand that compression is supposed to level things out, but it's not helping much (just seems like it makes it louder, but the level is still all over the place). Any tips on solving this? I have compression set on the "Bass Guitar" preset, and I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Here's my specs in case you need them:

Gateway X2800, Quad Core CPU, 2.5.
Windows XP Pro
Digidesign 003 Rack
Pro Tools 8
4 Gigs of Ram
External firewire drive 160 GB.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Getting bass to standout

Hi I have the same thing happen with bass alot.

First if your getting the "Brown NOte" or several that seem to shake or resonate everywere, then use your eq and isoloate that note. Do it note by note if you have to and youll find the freq thats doing it. Then notch filter it with the EQ.

Once you get that under control then boost the low volume notes the same way.

Just sort of ball park it with eq then compress. If its still doing it then put a limiter behind it.

If its a recorded amp then you might be getting some comb filtering happening in the room you in. If its DI to track then try compressing some going in the box.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 AM

When using compression the signal should get quieter, as you are actually reducing the dynamics. Use the add gain to bring the level up a little (sounds like your add gain is cranked quite high at the mo). Also if it still 'all over the place', the compressor may be 'pumping'. Try to lower the threshold a little and slow down the attack and release.

I also find that giving a little high frequency EQ can pull the sound of a bass guitar out very well (this is even more true when mixing double basses, in particular for live sound). It seems a common myth that the low frequencies must be boosted to hear the bass.

cdavis has also put forward some good sugestions.

What else do you have going on the mix that you believe is muddying the bass?

A:)
Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll see what I can do using your tips.

To answer your question, 1ace1, I have some distorted guitar tracks going. I haven't even thought about the bass level on them. I EQ them, but just raise the mids/highs a little. Maybe I can take down the lows on them some and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Good plan. Try a HPF (bass roll off) on the distorted guitars, this may give more space for the bass to breathe.

Happy mixing

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ace1 View Post
I also find that giving a little high frequency EQ can pull the sound of a bass guitar out very well (this is even more true when mixing double basses, in particular for live sound). It seems a common myth that the low frequencies must be boosted to hear the bass.
I also do this when mixing a session with a variance in Bass notes resonating. For me - 700hz is the "Top end" on a Bass guitar. I usually have a fairly wide Q - Centering at 700 Hz down to around 500Hz - and I'll slide the Freq Up and down a bit, from 600 - 700 Hz till I find a sweet spot. I'll then compress it Post EQ

With Bass guitar... it's all "In the source" - once it's printed that way, it can be the devil in a mix, and it's not as responsive to multi-band compression as Higher frequency stuff, like vocals, and guitars.

You say, "Working on My Band's Album" - if this is your Bass Player, I'd really have him "Work on his sound" when doing further recording. Try different Basses, Pickups, Rig's (Amps / Compressors etc...) - and compress, using a Hardware compressor, on the way In (Easy does it)

When it's "Right" from the source, bass is usually the least problematic track in a Mix. I've handed many records in, where the Bass was literally "Faders Up" on the record - with a little HPF.

I'm lucky to mix quite a few records, that a few of the same Bass Players are on the sessions, that have incredible Basses, Gear, and Hands - and it makes a HUGE difference, from some of the problematic sessions I am Handed to mix.

The same philosophy goes for ALL playing, and tones - But Bass is the foundation that your whole mix stands on - if it's boomy, taking off, or you bury it... it's a bad mix.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Is the bass track done with a DI or a mic? If its a DI track, use an AUX send to a mono AUX track and insert and amp simulator plugin(I like the IK Amplitube tube preamp/50 watt tube power amp) to add some grit and girth. You could also try duplicating the track and use HEAVY compression on the duplicate(like BF76 with all buttons pushed in) and mix that track underneath the original. Plenty of good ideas in this thread so here's hoping some(or some combination) will help.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
I also do this when mixing a session with a variance in Bass notes resonating. For me - 700hz is the "Top end" on a Bass guitar. I usually have a fairly wide Q - Centering at 700 Hz down to around 500Hz - and I'll slide the Freq Up and down a bit, from 600 - 700 Hz till I find a sweet spot. I'll then compress it Post EQ

With Bass guitar... it's all "In the source" - once it's printed that way, it can be the devil in a mix, and it's not as responsive to multi-band compression as Higher frequency stuff, like vocals, and guitars.

You say, "Working on My Band's Album" - if this is your Bass Player, I'd really have him "Work on his sound" when doing further recording. Try different Basses, Pickups, Rig's (Amps / Compressors etc...) - and compress, using a Hardware compressor, on the way In (Easy does it)

When it's "Right" from the source, bass is usually the least problematic track in a Mix. I've handed many records in, where the Bass was literally "Faders Up" on the record - with a little HPF.

I'm lucky to mix quite a few records, that a few of the same Bass Players are on the sessions, that have incredible Basses, Gear, and Hands - and it makes a HUGE difference, from some of the problematic sessions I am Handed to mix.

The same philosophy goes for ALL playing, and tones - But Bass is the foundation that your whole mix stands on - if it's boomy, taking off, or you bury it... it's a bad mix.
Very good points about the source. Our bass player has some pretty nice gear, GK Amp, Fender bass, but maybe it's the way I have the amp mic'd is the problem. I'm using a mid-grade kick drum mic (can't think of the name right now). Maybe I can try going direct out of the amp and see if that makes a difference. Hoping I can fix this with EQ/Comp since we've already completed six tracks, but if we have to do the parts over, so be it.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM

If you have the tracks spare I would always mic and DI a bass for maximum flexibility when mixing.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ace1 View Post
If you have the tracks spare I would always mic and DI a bass for maximum flexibility when mixing.

Excellent idea. We can record another bass track using DI. I can then put an amp simulator on one of the tracks and hopefully it will really give it some Body and also might take care of the level change problem.

Yeah, the bass player will have to do her parts over again, but it'll be worth it.