Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Done.

have you tried a switch or non airport/router?

Sometimes it works better with them.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 PM

have you tried a switch or non airport/router?

Sometimes it works better with them even more so when you have more than on artist controller.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 AM

What are the IP addresses of your internet, airport express, avid control surfaces, and ethernet port set to?

...if you don't mind me asking?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 AM

Don't know if this helps, but here's my (most of the time working) rig:

Mac mini i7 quad 16 Gb
OS X 10.9.4 (Mavericks)
Artist Mix(x2), Artist Control, Artist Transport
EuCon 2.7.1 -- seems to be the most stable
Reaper
Mac mini is connected via wireless to DSL router, iNet, etc.
Router with DHCP server hardwired to LAN port on Mac mini and connected to Artist series.

The Artist power supplies and the router power supply are on the same power strip

Whenever there's trouble I can just shut off the power strip, wait a few seconds, and bring the whole thing up in an orderly fashion -- router, then each unit individually -- all the while watching EuControl.

After that things are usually quite stable, at least for a while.
"A while" can mean an hour or so, to many hours depending on EuCon's mood that day :)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:26 AM

Definitely try setting fixed IP addresses for all the units if you haven't already. Maybe try just a cheap switch that isn't a wifi access point or router. Mine (mix, control, transport) isn't perfect but I may need to reload eucontrol twice a day and reload PT once, but no power cycling of the units or the computer. I'm on 10.9.4, 11.2, 3.1.3.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Yep a dedicated ip for my Mac and artist really made my controller stable...no more funky wierd stuff....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM

Yeah, my experience has been the same. Unless you have a pressing need to put your avid artists on your LAN I don't see the point under OSX. I haven't networked a PC in years, but I remember it as a much more complex process.

Ethernet port with static IP -> Switch -> Avid controllers with static IPs ironed out pretty much all of my issues.

WAN/LAN/NAS/Printer is connected via wifi. The only way I could rationalise adding EuCon to this network is if it were a multi-studio facility that required multiroom access to EuCon. Other than that, I can't justify laying the CAT5 cable.

Swings and roundabouts really. As long as it works!

If you could let us know what switch you are using C52382P, that would be handy.

I would be inclined to strip everything back for the sake of narrowing down the problem.

- Disconnect your Airport Extreme.
- Disable your airport connection.
- Delete you existing network connections in OSX.
- Connect your controllers to your switch.
- Connect your switch to your ethernet port on your mac.
- Disable your ethernet port's DHCP and manually set the IP to 192.169.2.1
- Disable DHCP on your controllers and set their IPs respectively to:
1. 192.169.2.102
2. 192.169.2.103
3. 192.169.2.104
4. 102.169.2.105
- Restart your system and see if your controllers work any better.

If they do, you could try reenabling your wifi/internet as long as it is on a different IP address. Usually the Airport Extreme runs on a default IP of 10.0.1.1.

If they aren't working better after the restart, perhaps try disabling 3 of the surfaces to see if you can get one to work properly. If you still can't do it using the switch, connect a control surface straight to your mac via ethernet and try it again. If that doesn't work, try creating a new OSX user and see if it works under that.

You may have already tried all this, but it will hopefully help narrow down if there is a conflict somewhere.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM

Ok guys. The router/LAN talk got a little confusing. Let me try to clear it up. My artist controllers are essentially on their own network. My router/internet/wi-fi have nothing to do with them. The controllers are on their own multi-port ethernet switch that connects directly to ethernet port 1 on my mac pro. When the mac pro requires internet access it is done via Wi-Fi. In my eyes the problem is clearly the Eucontrol software, it just isn't stable, it can't handle mundane tasks, it doesn't perform some of it's advertised functionality even when it IS working. I am done with full OS X reinstalls, pro tools reinstalls, eucon reinstalls and insignificant updates that break functionality further. I just want my expensive controllers to work. Since AVID decided that I'm only allowed to bank faders off of the units in one direction now I want to be able to turn the first unit off so sessions with only a couple of tracks can be directly in front of me at my desk. I want to be able to recommend this product to people who ask me about it CONSTANTLY. I simply can't do that and I don't have time to keep messing with them. Thank you guys for all of the replies!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Back to topic I made my ip static and my control static...since i stopped seeing funky stuff happening

The Rub -
I only have one controller

You should be able to configure your Mac to static ip and all controllers to sequential ip's along with your router
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 PM

Where do I begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
I live in Windows land so my comments are ignorant of OSX behaviour but:

I've never regarded the 'separate LAN port + switch to Artist' as a good idea. I can do something similar in PC land as my machine has 2 LAN ports but I've never done it. Doing so requires either a) Zeroconf/bonjour and or b) DHCP to work correctly on the 2nd port - which is yet more software running on the PC.
I've never regarded the 'separate LAN port + switch to Artist' as a good idea.

Actually, that is the best idea...it segregates Eucon traffic from any other network traffic.

Use static IP addresses and you don't need a DHCP server.
Quote:
I have always and much prefer to connect my PC & Artist boxes to my LAN, upon which there is a router offering DHCP service. I've even gone as far as to tell the router to hand the same addresses to my Artist boxes - they always obtain an address and behave sensibly networking wise.
If you're using reserved DHCP IP addresses, you might as well go to static IP addresses...if you must use reserved DHCP IP addresses, which I don't recommend, you want to make sure your computer is also using a reserved DHCP IP address.

Reserved DHCP IP addresses are intended for use with devices such as printers, which client computers "permanently" map to. Some people use reserved DHCP IP addresses for servers, although "best practice" is using an address from an excluded pool.
Quote:
Network topology is: Gigabit from PC to Switch 1(which is also a router), 100Mbit from switch 1 to switch 2, switch 2 to 3 * Artist controllers. Network traffic from EUCon in my experience is minimal.
It's not Eucon traffic you need to worry about...it's all of the other traffic on your network.
Quote:
I appreciate that those in a multi studio environment may want to segment their Artist controllers away on the network such that other studios cannot even see let alone take control of the other surfaces. I would probably go down the VLAN route for that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless you have some pressing need to keep the Artist stuff on a physically separate LAN, I would put it all on the same LAN and see how that goes.
With a VLAN, all network traffic still goes through the switch fabric, which is not the case with a separate network. VLAN's are primarily intended for excluding access to certain network segments.
Quote:
I do have start-up problems with EUCon on Windows 7 - I have to shutdown EUcon & restart it at every boot but I think that's something to do with some of the Virtualbox virtual LAN interfaces I have on my system.
I don't know what "Virtualbox" you're referring to, but if you are talking about Oracle's open source "Virtualbox" it has absolutely nothing to do with networking, and it sure as hell shouldn't be on a music computer. Virtualization refers to taking a very powerful server, and making it function as multiple smaller servers. Each of the smaller servers has its own installation of an operating system, but it uses processors/memory/storage that has been separately provisioned for its use...while some network cards allow for virtualization, most commonly separate network cards are used. I suppose someone might look at a bunch of network cards and make some assumptions, but that's not a good idea as often servers have multiple network cards to allow for better throughput on a single network.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh