Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 PM

Default mix levels low when bounced to disk

This may show that I am a complete newbie to mixing.

I use a master fader, get everything sounding pretty good in protools, and get it so that the signal is up almost at the peak level in the master fader. Then I bounce to disk, play it in iTunes and sound level is low when I look at the level meters there. It often won't come even close to peaking. How do I get the final sound level up?

Also, I bounce using Analog 1-2, Aiff, Stereo Interleaved, 24 bit res., 48000 sample rate with best conversion quality and convert after bounce.

Thanks,

wizdoom
Old 03-31-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: mix levels low when bounced to disk

compress/limit the dynamic range of your audio file. you likely have some big peaks somewhere in your audio file that need to be brought down so the whole level of your mix can be raised. i currently use the L2 (waves) but i don't do much mastering. if you import a song off a pop cd into pro tools, the waveform basically looks like a block because it has been compressed so hard.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:56 AM

A limiter and/or compressor will allow you to raise the overall level and prevent the few higher peaks from clipping. The end result is an apparently louder recording.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Also, I bounce using Analog 1-2, Aiff, Stereo Interleaved, 24 bit res., 48000 sample rate with best conversion quality and convert after bounce.
This is likely part of the problem- for playback in iTunes you should bounce to 16 bit/44.1 k. While I think iTunes might be able to play back 48 k files, I do not believe it supports 24 bit format. Also, be sure to put a dither plugin (preferably the POW-R) on your master fader before bouncing. I once had a similar problem when I tried to play back a bounced file in iTunes- then I realized that I had forgotten to dither down to 16 bit. Bouncing as an interleaved AIFF file is fine.

You can try compression or limiting as well, but also remember that iTunes output is not equal to ProTools. PT operates at +4, iTunes at -10 (I think )

-Andrew
Old 04-01-2005, 07:51 AM

i-Tunes will play 24 bit files, and also in >get info >options there is a volume adjustment.

you still won't be close to loud mastered stuff though.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll spend a chunk of the day trying all of these suggestions. I do have peaks in the horns that bring the mix down. I've been thinking I should do all my effect work on the indivdual channels, but I'll try compressing the master. Actually, does anyone have any recommendations for their favorite book or website on mixing?

And with all the limits and variables (i.e. volume adjusting in the info - something I had no idea about - thanks!) of iTunes, is it really a useful way of checking bounced files?

Thanks,

wizdoom
Old 04-01-2005, 03:00 PM

Charles Dye has a new DVD on mixing coming out

http://www.harddisklife.com/
Old 04-01-2005, 04:06 PM

I am no expert, but would caution you against doing mastering functions in your mix. I guess this applies to mixes that will become part of a record that would be sent away for mastering. You should leave that work for someone with the skills and gear for the job. I do sympathize, though. I made the mistake of playing one of my mixes on my boombox and then loading in a commercially released CD. The difference in size and loudness was depressing, but I imagine my mix would gain some ground after it was mastered.

PC