Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 11:16 AM

Default My mBox purchase debacle - need advice

I had been eyeing an mbox for quite awhile now. I live out in the middle of nowhere - like 100 miles from the nearest music store so I had a buddy who lived in the Twin Cities pick me up an mBox at a guitar center on new years eve day. I was going to his place that night, so I figured this would be more convienient than mail-ordering one. When I said he would pick one up for me, I told him to make sure it was a new package that was bundled with Reason, Sound Tank, etc.... He asked the guy behind the counter, and the sales person sold him the box saying the software was inside.

So, I when I get to his place I open the box and d'oh it was a box that had Pro Tools LE 5.x for XP, and of course none of the bundled software. Yikes! So we spend a week trying to get Guitar Center to exchange it for a newer box with the bundled software, but MN law says anything that comes with software can't be returned after opening it, unless it is for the same exact product. I was able to upgrade LE to 6.1 via registration with digidesign, but of course, I did not get the software bundle. So now I have this mBox and no sequncer, sampler, guitar processor, and most painfully no Reason.

So, I think these programs are going to be very essential to me being able to create full songs with my mBox. I looked at buying the plugins seperately, and of course to my chagrin, buying another mBox would be much cheaper.

So would it be worth it for me to just go ahead and buy another mbox? Or is there some way I can get the software bundle?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: My mBox purchase debacle - need advice

Hey, could you put a link on this post guiding me to where you were able to download the 6.1 upgrade from v5.3.3?
I too bought the Mbox and was never privy to the add. software.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Hi,

I'm from the Twin Cities and I recently was in the same situation you were. I recieved a M-Box for X-mas, that came with out the bundled software. I opened my box to realize the the bundled software was not included. I did not have the receipt since it was a gift. I had to raise a little hell at Guitar Center, but they swaped mine for a new one with the software. Don't let them push you around, they should have gotten rid of the old ones LONG AGO, but they try to pawn them off on people who might not know any better. Good Luck!

Dan
Old 01-20-2004, 12:30 PM

They let you exchange it?!! OMG, my friend who picked it up for me bugged them for days, and they still wouldn't do it. He still had the recept too and got on the manager's case. Of course the Mbox is registered now, and its been past the 14 day return policy on electronics. It really ticks me off.

So Dan, is the software bundle really "all that"? I mean, as long as its functional, even if they are slightly gimped versions, it would seem like they would be indespensible hence I am considering buying a 2nd mBox . Freakin Guitar Center!

PooPooBumBum 6.1 can't be downloaded. If you fill out your registration card, they send you a cd in the mail.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Digidesign will send you the bundle if you ask for it. 'Now included with all ProTools Systems'

I'd suggest calling them, to expedite getting 6.1, and to get the Bundle.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:19 PM

Tele Player is correct - once your product is registered, you will get sent the bundle. The quickest way would be to fax them and note specifically that you did not get the bundle.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:27 PM

Advice: develop a relationship with a reputable mail order outfit like sweetwater. I am confident that digi will give you all the latest software, but I know it is frustrating to spend the money and not have all the toys you paid for for a week or so.

Its like old home week with all these people from the twin cities. I just got my mbox at the roseville banjo center. They had a few and the guy said he thought they all had the same stuff, but I picked the one with all the stickers on it for the addt'l software--and it had it. PS. Don't pay retail.

Generally the folks in pro audio are not to be relied upon for software questions--occasionally someone does know the product, mostly not. For hardware questions, well, let the buyer beware--anything can happen. Since they are charging for returns, all the more reason to do your homework before you buy or go mail order with sonmeone who knows their product.

Also, keep a real close eye on the current versions, as best buy will sell back-level stuff at full retail to those who don't know any better.

Also, that thing about returning software being against the law is BS. The retailers teach their employees to say that (and they have no reason not to believe) to make it easier to shag off customers who want to do a software return. Its really only against agreements they have with the vendors or against corporate policy.

If anybody wants to disagree on this, please post the complete statute number, federal or state, and I will read it and admit I am wrong if it is indeed against the law--thus far I have not been referred to the real thing.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:55 PM

Quote:
once your product is registered, you will get sent the bundle
No they won't because they think you already have it, You must fax the registration and CALL them and they wills end it to you within a few days.

The bundle is good to introduce you to some good software. You may use it as is or upgrade the IK stuff at a decent discount - the discounts alone will apy for the Mbox ( almost). The software is limited although Reason has good stuff and Amplitube LE is good. Sampletank is weak as it comes with a fixed amount of instruments ( 64) which cannot be increased. It also crashes if its used with Amplitube .

Register - call - receive. Digi is great that way.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-22-2004, 06:56 AM

I got an email from digidesign last night. They were out of bundles, that is why I didn't get one. They are supposed to be getting more today, and they'll be sending me one.