Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-05-2003, 01:19 PM

Default MIDI setup on Mbox - my sequencer - latency?

Hey everyone,
I finally purchased a 1 GHZ tiBook and an Mbox a couple weeks ago and I'm loving the s**t out of it. I also have an old Yamaha QY70 sequencer which I've been using to lay down drums and clicks. I've just been running the audio out into one of the mbox inputs and setting the PT tempo and the sequencer tempo the same. then i trim and loop and move the samples in grid mode.

My question is involves setting up the sequener as a midi input rather than an audio in. I have a midiman usb midisport uno converter which takes midi in and midi out and runs them into the USB port on the iBook. If I run this into the tibook and then run OMS setup I assume it will work.

However, for monitoring without latency do I need to still run the audio out from the sequencer into the Mbox?

Also - the TiBook only has 2 USB ports, one which I use for my mouse and the other for the Mbox. Can I use a Hub so the MIDI and the mouse go in the same port or will this screw things up?

One other thing. I would like to be able to hook some sort of external keyboard to control the sounds from my QY70 so I don't feel like I'm trying to play chords on gameboy buttons. Where would I put this in the chain and what are the nice but reasonably priced controller keyboards?

Sorry so many questions. I just want to get everything running smoothly. I have read info in the answerbase but some of it was unclear in regards to my specific setup. Thanks alot guys. This board is the bomb.

LukeDog
Old 02-06-2003, 03:20 PM

Default Re: MIDI setup on Mbox - my sequencer - latency?

bump
Old 02-08-2003, 10:31 AM

one more try....bump.....should i put this on a different section of the boards?

thanks,

Lukedog
Old 02-09-2003, 12:00 AM

high there lukedog,
I will try and help.

-latencyon't know wether you'll have latency when setting up like you say, but the recorded midi in protools has to trigger something. so if you're using the audio from your yamaha, the signal will be going through the machine anyway, so for monitoring use what works best.

-USB some apparatus (look in the manual) need a so called powered usb bus, which are the two on your ibook.
Now there are powered and unpowered hubs, with a price difference of course, the mouse also works on a unpowered hub, you can figure out what you need now.

-Keyboards-reasonable prices depend on budget, but some brands are m-audio (formerly midi-man) and evolution,
both have midicontroller-keyboards, ranging from 26 to 81 keys, try take a look on the web, google or something
hope you got some answers