Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Spinning pizza of doom...help.

MacBook Pro 17"hiRes
2.4ghz Core2Duo
4 gigs ram
Nvidia Graphics
160gig HDD @7200rpm
Maxtor One Touch III/7200rpm SATA 750gig FW800 Audio drive(ext) attached to the MCP FW800
correctly formatted as per PT requirements. Has Oxford 924 chipset.
DIGI003R Factory Bundle attached to the MCP FW400
iLok attached to left side USB port(have tried all ports)
OSX 10.4.10
PT 7.3.1cs5
all plugins are 7.3

I have done all troubleshooting steps except reload PT. I am using a BT Mighty Mouse but the error occurs when also when the BT is disabled. I have

Here's the issue: This occurs whenever I have a session that has a Maxim plugin. If I walk away for 15 mins or so I come back and hit the transport and I get a spinning pizza and have to force quit. Sometimes just messing with the sliders in Maxim will cause the issue. Sometimes when I when I leave my system on and walk away then return the level meters in Maxim are railed sometimes the Input meter is railed, sometime the Output meter is railed, sometime both. If I play with the sliders sometime the In or Out level meters in Maxim rail and then drop to zero and become un responsive but the plugin is still working, eventually I will get the spinning pizza as long as Maxim is in the session.

Any clues? I have a trouble ticket active through phone support as the system is less than 30 days old. I have downloaded and run the Tech tool, I delete my prefs and DB's everytime I shutdown.

Mark
Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Avid

Default Re: Spinning pizza of doom...help.

If you remove the Maxim plug-in from the plug-ins folder and trash prefs, can you get the problem to occur with any other plug-ins?

If not, it's probably a corrupted Maxim plug-in and you should reinstall it:

Maxim Plug-in installers
Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
If you remove the Maxim plug-in from the plug-ins folder and trash prefs, can you get the problem to occur with any other plug-ins?

Maxim Plug-in installers
So far I have only been able to create the issue with the Maxim plugin. I have reinstalled Maxim and I also trash prefs every session. I will delete the plugin and try reinstalling again. I have also used the restore Maxim plug item from the tech utility tool.

Very strange.

Mark
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Maxim Plug-in installers
Ok I redid the steps...deleted Maxim and reinstalled. Here's what I found:

I noticed while playing around today that the issues begin if anything clips the Master Fader(where the Maxim Plug is located on an insert), whether it is Maxim(bringing the settings too hot in Maxim) or just bringing the MF up too hot. When this happens the IN or Out or both level meters in Maxim stop responding correctly and a crash will ultimately occur(within minutes). If the MF or Maxim do not clip the crash will NOT occur even with Maxim in the session. Also the crash doesn't seem to occur if I have the Ignore RTAS errors box checked ON in the Playback Engine settings, if Maxim clips or the MF clips the level meters in Maxim still screw up but with the RTAS error box checked on PTools will not crash.

Mark Day
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Avid

I'm going to check this out asap.

If anoyone else is experiencing this, please post your details here.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I'm going to check this out asap.

If anoyone else is experiencing this, please post your details here.
I just called a buddy who has an HD3 rig running PT7.3, etc on a Mac Pro Intel fully loaded. When he brings Maxim(RTAS) into the insert on the MF and clips it, he also loses the I/O meters in Maxim. If he switches to the TDM version of Maxim and clips it, the meters still function correctly. He is going to try the RTAS version again to see if it evetually crashes, usually takes about 10 minutes on my rig.
I will report back.
Mark
Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM

This much is confirmed. If I clip Maxim even once the level meters within Maxim no longer function correctly and eventually PT will lock with the spinning pizza. If I never clip Maxim, PTools will NOT lock. Locking only occurs when Maxim is clipped. Also if I don't clip Maxim, the meters in Maxim remain stable. So the locking issue ONLY occurs if Maxim is clipped.

Again my buddy with HD3 has the same issue with the RTAS version of Maxim but not the TDM version.

Anyone else??

Mark
Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Just letting you know I had a similar crash using the RTAS Maxim today (Mac Pro 2.66, PT7.3.1cs5). I had Maxim inserted on a stereo track. When I brought the threshold level down past a certain point, I got the spinning beachball of doom. There was actually an out ceiling set at -0.3db, but I suppose it is the plug-in's INPUT that was clipped. In any case, I had to do a force quit to break free and resume working.

This was a timely thread! Good to know that's what it was, and how to avoid it in the future.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Just letting you know I had a similar crash using the RTAS Maxim today (Mac Pro 2.66, PT7.3.1cs5). I had Maxim inserted on a stereo track. When I brought the threshold level down past a certain point, I got the spinning beachball of doom. There was actually an out ceiling set at -0.3db, but I suppose it is the plug-in's INPUT that was clipped. In any case, I had to do a force quit to break free and resume working.

This was a timely thread! Good to know that's what it was, and how to avoid it in the future.

I'm not happy but at least I'm not crazy and I don't have to throw my brand new MacBook Pro under the wheels of a big truck

Well guys that's 3 of us now with the same issue.......HELP! hehe, I know you guys are checking on things.

Mark
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Maxim has been GUI malfunctioning for me, since the intel / UB version - it's never worked properly for me on any of my intel macs.

Seems mostly GUI failure for me, it locked my machine, when AS and RTAS versions were opened simultaneously, and the meters would disappear, as well as other graphics failures, thats for sure.

I started THIS THREAD in January... at the beginning of the year.

Don't know why it got moved to the m-powered section, I was writing about LE - nevertheless, Maxim hasn't worked for me, sing PPC 10.4.8

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App