Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2002, 08:27 AM

Default word clocking DIGI001 with Tascam DM-24

Hi everyone:

New user to the Digi001 and two Tascam's DM-24 digital consoles. Anyone out there with this setup or similar one (with digital consoles)?

I need info on how to word clock those units together. The 2 Tascams are synced by default via the cascade cable/card.
Now at this point can I use the dm-24 that is the master to to slave the Protools LE via the ADAT optical. Will it work ?
I am not sure if it should be the other way around or if it would actually work by sending the word clock from Protools LE and slaving the DM-24's to that signal>
ANy answers ?

thanks
Old 03-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: word clocking DIGI001 with Tascam DM-24

The Digi001 cannot resolve to or transmit Word Clock. It can, however, resolve to the following digital protocols:
-RCA S/PDIF
-Optical S/PDIF (aka: TOSLINK)
-ADAT Optical

-When using a digital mixer, the Digi001 should be the Slave device.

Brent
Old 03-28-2002, 02:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dr.Octavo:
Hi everyone:

New user to the Digi001 and two Tascam's DM-24 digital consoles. Anyone out there with this setup or similar one (with digital consoles)?

I need info on how to word clock those units together. The 2 Tascams are synced by default via the cascade cable/card.
Now at this point can I use the dm-24 that is the master to to slave the Protools LE via the ADAT optical. Will it work ?
I am not sure if it should be the other way around or if it would actually work by sending the word clock from Protools LE and slaving the DM-24's to that signal>
ANy answers ?

thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are just trying to sync them, I believe you can use midi time code, if the tascam supports that...
Old 03-28-2002, 04:46 PM

Greetings Brent,

You were saying....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> The Digi001 cannot resolve to or transmit Word Clock. It can, however, resolve to the following digital protocols:
-RCA S/PDIF
-ADAT Optical <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so what does the Rosendahl Nanosyncs S/PDIF output to the 001? If the 001 is slaved to the RCA S/PDIF input, is it not seeing a WC?

Regards,

Haigbabe
Old 03-28-2002, 11:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
The Digi001 cannot resolve to or transmit Word Clock. It can, however, resolve to the following digital protocols:
-RCA S/PDIF
-ADAT Optical

-When using a digital mixer, the Digi001 should be the Slave device.

Brent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Brent, and no offense, but this is (somewhat) incorrect at worst and misleading at best.

While it is true that the Digi 001 doesn't have a dedicated word clock in or out jack (more's the pity), it can and DOES sync to external word clock via the lightpipe or S/PDIF interfaces, both of which (Alesis Lightpipe and TOSLink S/PDIF or coax / RCA S/PDIF) carry word clock data embedded in the signal. So when you connect a lightpipe out from a digital mixer into the lightpipe in on the Digi 001 and select Sync Mode: "Optical" in the Hardware setup dialog box, you ARE telling the Digi 001 to derive the word clock data from the incoming lightpipe signal, and you are locking the Digi 001 to the incoming word clock that is carried over the lightpipe.

So I guess what I'm saying is that while you're correct that there's no dedicated word clock jack on the Digi 001, word clock IS carried on the "digital protocols" that you listed right along with the audio, and the Digi 001 can slave to the incoming clock embedded in those digital interface protocols.

Bottom line Dr Octavo, is that yes, you can do what you want to do. I have dual Yamaha digital mixers with lightpipe cards installed, and by setting the Sync to "Optical", the Digi 001 and the digital mixers are working together just fine with the clocks synchronised. In this case, as Brent mentioned, the Digi 001 is the Word Clock slave while the Tascam boards are the word clock masters. Actually ONE of them is the word clock master, while the other is also a slave - via the cascade cards. You may notice a SLIGHT improvement by using the Lightpipe out of the "master" DM24 board (instead of the "slave" board) because you won't be "daisy chaining" the W/C data from the master DM24, through the second board and then into the Digi 001 - you'll be going straight out of the master board via the lightpipe into the Digi 001 and bypassing the intermediate step in the "chain" - but in actual pratice, you will probably notice little or no improvement with it either way.

So that takes care of your Word Clock sync issues. As far as POSITIONAL sync, you'd want to use MTC (MIDI Time Code) for that. You can take a MTC out from the master Tascam and into the Digi 001's MIDI in jack and set it to sync to MTC, and the transports of both the Tascam boards and the Digi 001 with stay in sync positionally. Let me know if you need more specific details on how to set that up.

Cheers!

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:35 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
While it is true that the Digi 001 doesn't have a dedicated word clock in or out jack (more's the pity), it can and DOES sync to external word clock via the lightpipe or S/PDIF interfaces, both of which (Alesis Lightpipe and TOSLink S/PDIF or coax / RCA S/PDIF) carry word clock data embedded in the signal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no doubt that any digital protocol carries a clocking signal as part of the data stream (otherwise no two devices could ever acheive sync). However, each digital format handles things slightly differently and they are not all compatible (i.e. the Digi001 cannot resolve to a Word Clock signal connected to its RCA S/PDIF Input).

AES/EBU, RCA S/PDIF, Optical S/PDIF, ADAT Optical and TDIF are all different protocols and are not interchangeable with one another without the aid of a converter.

Brent
Old 04-01-2002, 10:24 AM

I want to learn how to interconect the DM24 with ProTools LE 5.1.1 (PC)... I try it but I can´t do it.

Could any body help me with this sending me information about it.

Thanks

Mario Cerna [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]