Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM

Default NO MORE Eventide plug-ins for me!!

I'm in the middle of doing a huge amount of updating, and the Eventide plug-ins I got in various Massive Packs are making me pull my hair out. Did I get H949 in Massive Pack 2? Massive Pack 3??? I'm going to have to go on a wild goose chase to figure that out. What about H3000 Band Delays? What package did that come from. Also, is it REALLY worth $49 and all the trouble to upgrade H949 or H3000 to the universal binary version (with no additional features)? I've got umpteen other plug-ins that do roughly the same things. I used to use the original H949 back in the day, and I always thought those sounded awful.

Seriously, for me, this makes the Eventide plug-ins I own no longer worth the effort to maintain. Eventide has definitely set itself apart from other plug-in offerings in MP. If their plan was to irritate customers, they have certainly succeeded.

On top of everything else, even if I wanted to throw $98 out the window, there's apparently some weird system at Eventide where you have to interact with a sales person to actually get the download. This, in the year 2009. Amazing.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Default Re: NO MORE Eventide plug-ins for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
Also, is it REALLY worth $49 and all the trouble to upgrade H949 or H3000 to the universal binary version (with no additional features)?
i think you are worth it LEE.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
i think you are worth it LEE.
You know, maybe you're right. Maybe I am worth it, because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM

[quote= is it REALLY worth $49 [/quote]

Bit of a bargain, compared to McDsp. Updating Massive pack 4 (MC2000 and GhannelG) would cost you $295 ....
Old 04-01-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliJ View Post
Bit of a bargain, compared to McDsp. Updating Massive pack 4 (MC2000 and GhannelG) would cost you $295 ....
Yeah, I noticed that as I worked down my list. I've got MC2000 and FilterBank, and to bring them up to speed would by $195. Let's see, the PT8 HD upgrade is only $249. The entire Logic Pro package, new, is only $499 (and that's a massive collection of software). One of these things is not like the others.

Spending hundreds of dollars for a small tweak of what you already thought you owned, with no additional features is insane (and especially insane to single out the Massive Pack owners). I'd have to think long and hard about ever buying a Massive Pack again. If there's something I want, I'll buy the real version of it, not one with additional barriers, gotchas, and special versions that need to be downloaded from different links. It's like these companies decide to sell you this software in the MP, but they do it grudgingly and with an eye towards getting even somewhere down the road. For me, it just builds bad will.

I'm sure that in the legal boilerplate on the package, they must cover themselves somehow. Still, you wonder if there's some misrepresentation involved. It's like selling a gallon of gas outright, and a gallon of gas in some kind of package with other things, with that gallon only being 3/4 of a gallon.

Oh well, we vote with our dollars to support or not support these companies. Thankfully, we have an abundance of options these days. And realistically, I guess I'm willing to give companies second chances if they get their act together. A few years ago, I vowed never to buy another Waves product because of the enormously expensive WUP, but a dramatic change took place at Waves, and I'm now again a loyal supporter (and I've bought everything they put out).

A few years ago, Sony/Sonnox did a similar upgrade/update to what Eventide and McDSP are doing, but they only charged something like $15 or so per plug-in. That seemed reasonable for a minor tweak.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
A few years ago, I vowed never to buy another Waves product because of the enormously expensive WUP, but a dramatic change took place at Waves, and I'm now again a loyal supporter (and I've bought everything they put out).
What has changed? They don´t have WUP anymore?

Sorry, but I´m out of Waves business since years...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Eller View Post
What has changed? They don´t have WUP anymore?

Sorry, but I´m out of Waves business since years...
$200 To update an entire bundel Waves was probably the easiest to update to Leopard PT8 and Intel. compared to others that cost me $300-$400 for one plugin

Spend about $700-$800 so far on updates and still have plugs to do yet? Mach5/BFD and so on.

As mentioned above, i've gone logic 8 route for my extended instruments collection

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 AM

If you can, you would do yourself a big favor by upgrading to Anthology II bundle. That way you would have current plug versions and the Eventide Reverb as well. I don't remember how much does it cost, but I upgraded and have never regretted spending that money.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 AM

LEE,

while Eventide is living in the stone age when it comes to internet and ease of access their products should be what you're going after.

Their PT plugs are among the finest I own, in fact, I dont know what I'd do without them.

Screw those 98$ - just get the update/upgrade and move on

U wont regret it
Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Eventide

Hi Lee,

Ray from Eventide here. I am sorry you feel our plug-ins aren't worth $49 upgrade to Universal Binary. These plug-ins were originally offered at a reduced cost in MassivePack3 (2004) and MassivePack4 (2005). The engineering development cost to update these for use on Intel Macs was not insignificant, so we opted to charge a nominal upgrade fee and at the same time offer an attractive upgrade to our all-inclusive Anthology II bundle. Believe me, we are not getting rich on these upgrades, but we did it for those users who did not want to upgrade to our full Anthology II bundle.

Incidentally, interacting with a sales person is not required. To upgrade to Universal Binary, all you have to do is go to our store and make your purchase.

http://eventidestore.com/maunbiup.html

Because you already own two Eventide plug-ins, you are eligible to upgrade to the full Anthology II bundle for a special low price of only $429 (regularly $499) until April 23, 2009. For that you get upgraded to UB and you get an additional 13 great plug-ins (that is only $33 per plug-in, plus the UB upgrade!). Now that is an offer that is difficult to refuse! Here is what is in Anthology II:

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivisio...logy%20II.aspx

Click here to take advantage of the Anthology II special upgrade deal.

http://eventidestore.com/clleoranytwo.html

In any event, we appreciate your business and hope you will continue to use Eventide products.