Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2023, 10:12 AM

Default 12 Core Mac only Using 8 Cores for Pro Tools?

Hey guys I just got a 12 core mini, and was a bit disappointed to see Pro Tools is only taking advantage of 8 cores in the system usage window. Maybe I'm missing something here, but theoretically does that mean the other 4 cores are just sitting there idle if I'm not running any other applications? Is this something that would change if I were running native instead of Rosetta, or possible for Avid to change in a future update? I'm new to the silicon stuff, and just curious how this limitation will effect the life of this computer.
Old 05-02-2023, 11:23 AM

Default Re: 12 Core Mac only Using 8 Cores for Pro Tools?

Welcome to the community.

There's a previous thread on this topic and some info at the bottom of this KB that might help explain it. Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:19 PM

Default Re: 12 Core Mac only Using 8 Cores for Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjimmy View Post
Hey guys I just got a 12 core mini, and was a bit disappointed to see Pro Tools is only taking advantage of 8 cores in the system usage window. Maybe I'm missing something here, but theoretically does that mean the other 4 cores are just sitting there idle if I'm not running any other applications? Is this something that would change if I were running native instead of Rosetta, or possible for Avid to change in a future update? I'm new to the silicon stuff, and just curious how this limitation will effect the life of this computer.
12 Core has 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores. PT is only going to use the performance cores.

Efficiency cores are more for internet and small cpu use. At least that is how I understood it.

Those 8 performance cores are pretty powerful, so you shouldn't have to worry. I've seen tests with like 512 tracks with 6 plugins and full automation going and it played fine in rosetta.
Almost every plugin